Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old October 25th, 2011, 10:06 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
acer aspire one won't boot win 7

Got an acer aspire one, netbook with 7 starter on it. When booting it makes it past the windows splash screen and screen turns black and I get a mouse cursor on the screen. Thats it won't go any further, it appears to be reading from the HD forever after that. I've tried safe mode and command prompt, restore points everything gets the same results mouse cursor on black screen. I tried repairing windows, didn't work saids unable to run. I tried Alt F10 the recovery for acer, I tried the repair there and it doesn't run it gets an error saying recovery unable to run. While in recovery console I tried command prompt chkdsk and its taking forever, still at 1% and getting unreadable errors on almost all the segments on HD.

I was luckily able to copy all my data from it using a usb linux dist and copied all documents so at least that worked ok.

Am I looking at a bad HD? What are my options?

Thanks
Old October 26th, 2011, 05:10 PM
CTH Subscriber

what model netbook? If you know the make of the hardrive, use the disk manufacterers utilities to test the drive, but from your description it souds like the drive is dead.
Old October 26th, 2011, 07:13 PM

It's a gz8 or something along those lines. Im not sure if the hd is even removable as I don't see an access for it. I tried a full blown restore to factory and it halts at 37% guess the netbook is bricked
Old October 27th, 2011, 03:37 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Im not sure if the hd is even removable as I don't see an access for it
I'm not familiar with that laptop, but there should be a cover plate on the bottom of it that needs to be removed (with a screwdriver), and the harddrive is under the cover.
check the video link.
Youtube video
Old October 27th, 2011, 05:02 PM

No access as I can see the only two access are ram and wireless probably need to take whole thing apart. Well though windows would not reinstall, I was able to install Linux without issue. Guess its staying that way. Thanks