Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old October 26th, 2020, 08:22 AM

New PC for office work sucks. advice :)

Hi again, so I bought this PC for office work for my wife. I thought it would be reasonably fast considering the processor is top of the line (?), but I was very unimpressed by the speed, especially on data transfer of pictures and videos.

My nearly 10 year old pc with 16gb of ram, a i5 3570 processor, and nvdia graphic 1060 6b, transferred the same data in about 2 minutes compared to 15 minutes on the new pc.

What gives? Would an ssd help? Should I bother installing one before returning it? Neither of these computers have an ssd and my super old one is way faster.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...ws-10/14760362

Here is a comparison of the processors. Is this site reliable?

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare...3570/3737vs827

and lastly, can anyone recommend me some good websites or tools for stress testing a PC.

Thank you!

Last edited by Aly199; October 26th, 2020 at 08:25 AM.
Old October 26th, 2020, 12:04 PM

Switch to SSD.
Old October 26th, 2020, 01:05 PM

Will that really make the difference? And would I have to reinstall windows? What is the process? I have a computer guy who is pretty cheap on labor.

Because I could just return it and buy another PC with ssd.
Old October 27th, 2020, 02:56 PM

Whoa! While I am all for SSDs these days, the fact this new machine having a HD, does NOT explain why transfer speeds on her new computer are worse than yours with your 10 year old computer. Something else is going on.

The i5-10400 is hardly "top-of-the-line" but with 6 cores and 12 threads, it should easily outperform your 4 core, 4 thread processor.

And for sure, it is likely her hard drive's performance is comparable to yours.

You do have more RAM which is important, but I will assume it is DDR3 where hers is DDR4 - so that should help level that playing field. And 12GB is still a nice chunk.

However, you have a dedicated graphics card and she does not. That means two things. (1) Some of her CPU's horsepower is going to graphics processing instead of handing off those tasks to the separate GPU. And (2), your card has its own dedicated RAM for graphics processing while some of her system RAM has been stolen... err... is being "shared" for those graphics processing tasks. This means she has less than 12GB available for other tasks.

Have you compared file transfers with the exact same files?

Also, how do both computers connect? Ethernet? Wifi? If wifi, are they on the same band (2.4GHz or 5GHz)? Are they both the same distance from the WAP (wireless access point - typically integrated with the router)? Same barriers (walls, floors, ceilings, metal file cabinets) in between the computer and WAP?

Is her Internet performance unsatisfactory too - or just file transfer?
Old October 28th, 2020, 04:37 AM

So I was actually making the dumb mistake (I believe) of using the USB 2.0 port. When using the USB 3.0 ports on both PCs, the transfer rate is about the same.

I still feel like the PC could be a bit faster. Takes over a minute to boot being brand new so I want to go for the ssd for sure.

My PC guy is telling me I will need to reinstall windows (80$) + labour (80$) + price of the ssd.

So I'm thinking to trade it for this one. https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...ws-10/14180301

How can I tell if there is room to upgrade ram?

I want this pc to be lightning fast for office work. Willing to pay more if necessary.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...ished/14319204

Alternatively, they have these cheap refurbished ones. I'm not looking to cheap out, but the specs look good?

Thanks so much for the help.
Old October 28th, 2020, 04:30 PM

You PC guy is wrong. Mostly. People upgrade from hard drive to SSD without reinstalling Windows all the time. See here.

However, it is not uncommon for problems to develop or to follow the transfer to the SSD. So for that reason, many simply prefer to do a fresh reinstall whenever they replace the boot drive.

As far as upgrading the RAM, the best way is to know the make and model of the motherboard. Then look up the specs.