Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion

Notices

Open Discussion A place to chat with other members about non-technical related topics

Topic Tools
Old March 23rd, 2005, 11:49 PM

O/S: Windows 98 SE
Our Priorities Are Screwed Up Completely.

10 people shot by teenager. Now that's news. Tragic, but news.

Manchester News
education

School bans 'wrong race' hairstyle

A TEENAGER was sent home from school after the headteacher ruled she was the wrong race to have a braided hairstyle.

Now that's just B/S. What's next? Natural hair coloring only?
If it wasn't so stupid it would be funny.
BTW, I hate cornrows but then I hate a lot of things I pass everyday.
Old March 24th, 2005, 01:01 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Quote:
However, two other pupils at the school who have an Afro-Caribbean background are allowed to attend the school with similar hairstyles because it reflects their cultural heritage.

Middleton Technology College headteacher Allison Crompton confirmed that braided hairstyles were generally banned in the school but she would make exceptions for hairstyles which are a reflection of cultural heritage rather than a fashion statement.

"If we didn't allow some leeway for their cultural and ethnic background I think it would probably be discriminatory."
That is absurd! Allowing "leeway" is being discriminatory against everyone else. "...make exceptions..." is being discriminatory. Why don't they make an exception in her case, since I'm sure she paid a bit of money to have that done while on holiday!!

But, the important part, as you said, is the fact that compared to these shootings, this shouldn't even make the news.
Old March 24th, 2005, 01:29 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
I couldn't believe this the other day when it was on national news. So much for an integrated society.

The worst thing is, kids at that age don't see colour in the schoolyard. It takes some bumptious PC nazi (not a contradiction in terms, I'm afraid) to point out the difference. Shame on them.