Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old January 27th, 2005, 01:02 AM

Talking Comp failure - can anyone advise?

I was playing World of Warcraft when I first noticed this problem. The screen got very "glitchy" and pixelated. My computer then froze. I proceeded to restart the computer and noticed that now the problem happened when I logged into windows. The same glitchy display, followed by my computer freezing. So I restarted again but this time what should have been the "welcome" screen was all glitched out and unreadable (and you guessed it another freeze). Bascily the computer is at a point where SOME times it will start up, get past the ram check screen but freeze on the bios screen. It looks like this:

Comp Specs (in case they will help):
Intel Pentium 4 2.6 ghz
Abit IC7-G MoBo 800mhz FSB w/ Hyper-Threading Enabled
Segate 120 GB Hard Drive
1 GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce FX 5900 128 MB

I dont know what to do and any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you for your time.

Last edited by nuffsed808; January 27th, 2005 at 01:14 AM.
Old January 27th, 2005, 01:55 AM

Was the game bought, or did you download it from P2P. If you downloaded it from P2P, It could containg a virus.
Try booting into safe mode, download AVG (if you dont already have it) and run a scan, also, download the latest definitions. If it isnt a virus, go into device manager
control panel -> system -> hardware(tab) -> device manager (button). And check if the display driver are working propery. If there not, try reinstalling it with the driver's that it came with. (also check to see if everything else is working properly).
Old January 27th, 2005, 02:10 AM

Thanks for the reply, I still have a couple issues though. I did buy the game legitly so I dont think there was a virus that came with the game. I want to check on the drivers and such, but as of right now my computer does not load past the bios screen. I am using my laptop to post this thread and my replies. any ideas?
Old January 27th, 2005, 02:18 AM

If you can get into bios; look in there for something about your primary boot device. Set this to CD and insert you'r windows XP CD. restart.
When the CD loads, you should have the option to install XP or repair it. Choose repair and it should take you to a dos screen. type /? for commands but I think it's scndsk (look for something like that) to scan you'r disk for errors. Hopefully it will find errors which will enable you to boot normally, than you can work on the problem from there.
Old January 27th, 2005, 06:07 AM

I have been trying to get into my cmos settings so that I can change the boot sequence and have it boot my disk drives first, but so far havent had any luck getting past the bios screen (the one in the picture). when i press DEL the screen either turns completly black, or is frozen and does nothing. this is getting really depressing :|
Old January 27th, 2005, 06:59 AM

Okay, it sounds like you'r computer is realy stuffed and you might need to format.
Download "darik's boot and nuke", copy to a floppy, turn off computer, put floppy in drive, and turn computer back on. Follow the instructions.
If you want to back up you'r stuff first, Take you'r HDD to a friends house and get him to copy all the stuff over to another HDD.
Good Luck
Old January 27th, 2005, 09:33 AM

alright gonna try that ... we'll see how it goes
Old January 27th, 2005, 11:29 AM

i would change the graphics card first off, if that doesn't work, also try the monitor on the laptop to be sure it's not the monitor.
Old January 27th, 2005, 09:59 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Comp failure - can anyone advise?

Good idea to try a known good graphic card.

The failure reminds me of my friends PC. That PC behaved as if it had a virus. Once working up to "here" once to "there" only.

So I also started looking for a virus and a cure ... lol..

In desperation after several hours, I unplugged all peripheral devices and the PC started smoothly and quick.

The culprit was an USB - photo ram reader ......

Good luck

nopfusch

Old January 27th, 2005, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Good idea to try a known good graphic card.
His graphics card is one of the best on the market. Look it up.
Old January 28th, 2005, 03:57 PM

it may be one of the best on the market, but that doesn't mean it isn't faulty! put a crap one in, if it works then the BEST ON THE MARKET card is duff. Also, do as nopfush suggested and unplug all peripherals except the monitor and see if it still does it.
Old January 29th, 2005, 02:26 AM

here is an update:

so far I have tried all of your ideas minus the plugging in a known working vid card ... still trying to get ahold of one. its been a couple days now and its quite depressing but I'll keep trying. thank you for your continued help everyone
Old January 29th, 2005, 12:38 PM

good luck, i really hope it isn't the graphics card, as it's a sweet card