Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old January 31st, 2024, 02:20 PM

Google Turns Off Basic HTML in Gmail

So in about 24 hours or so the Google bosses are going to turn off your ability to use the Basic HTML mode in Gmail.

I'm squeezing in my last archiving of various bits of data in the many Gmail accounts I have, as the Basic HTML allows for a heck of a clean system of copying search results and much larger snippets than any of the Standard modes.

And that "Compact" system isn't near as good as I thought it would be.

Actually, for many months the Google management has been slowly hiding ways to get at the Basic HTML mode and right now I think I am using the last trick to get to that system. In fact, they seem to be hiding one trick I posted on their forum.

Frankly, I see nothing but storm clouds in Google's future. They've gotten way-way-way too greedy. And I was so impressed with them way back when. In fact, last night I did some archiving of some work I and a few others did for Google way back when.

Do any of you remember when folks were offering us money for a Gmail invite?
Old February 2nd, 2024, 02:24 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Yes, I think this is mean of Google, while many of us have a good fast internet connection at home, not everyone does. And those who travel to third world places, perhaps for work often find appalling internet, but they still need a regular internet service to keep in touch. Work arounds are possible, but are slow and time consuming.

Not good enough Google!
Old February 6th, 2024, 09:40 AM

Since about mid-2023 I have been publicly riding the volunteer staff on the Google help forum to answer some questions about the dropping of the Basic HTML service and very recently one of them stated he'd check on my question that addresses that very issue of what those with slow Net connections can do when using Gmail and then nothing more, so I assume he was told to leave the matter/question hanging.

Over the years I have garnered a bad reputation with Google staff, employees and volunteers, for pushing to get answers to questions. That has been ever since Gmail was launched. In fact, I was one of those early volunteers helping folks and still belong to an odd group of present and former volunteers that engage in a sort of informal communications from time-to-time.

I had a one-on-one communications line to some of the Google engineers in the early days and to the first manager of Gmail, but then Google starting backing of out direct employee communications with customers. Who can be faulted in thinking that "backing out" style is showing that we customers are not so important, anymore? And, yes, I view all as "customers" and not "users". Just that use of vocabulary caused friction between myself and other team members. You should read some of the exchanges we had on that issue alone; some years back before they dumped the older forum style for the present customer service help platform.

By the way, I thought a monopoly in many industries in the United States, and many other nations, was illegal? I mean, I get the sense that it is Google-this and Google-that all over the Net and that dominance is pushing other companies out of such service providing. But that line of thought slips us off-topic, doesn't it?
Old February 6th, 2024, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Seagoon
Yes, I think this is mean of Google, while many of us have a good fast internet connection at home, not everyone does. And those who travel to third world places, perhaps for work often find appalling internet, but they still need a regular internet service to keep in touch. Work arounds are possible, but are slow and time consuming.
Some companies donmt give a crap about anyone... I had a beautiful baic HTML email account on HUSHMAIL.COM and akll of a sudden w/o warning they dropped the basic interface..... Im on IE6 so I couldnt use my email acct there anymore.....

I tried for months to get them to bring it back.. IT WASNT HURTING ANYONE!!

I finally had some choice words and left........ They suck. And thats a canadian company which is a surprise.............