Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old March 25th, 2008, 05:59 PM

Unhappy I have to press power, then press reset before pc will boot

This is a very strange problem, and only seems to happen after the PC has been turned off for awhile.
When I press the power switch, the PC comes on, I can hear the fans, but I dont get any video output, the LCD screen stays in standby mode. The computer is unresponsive and the power switch on the PC with not turn the PC off, unless I hold it in for 5 sec. BUT if I hit the reset button, the PC resets and all is well and the PC boots into XP and is rock solid.
I can turn the PC off, and back on normally numorious times. It seems to only happen when the PC has been off for 20 min or so, which is making it difficult and time consuming to trouble-shoot.
It almost feels like this is a power issue, either the PSU or the mobo, but i'd like to get some thoughts from you guys.

I'm not in front of the PC, and I cannot remember the specs, but its an AMD CPU at around 1.4ghz, an epox mobo. PSU is around 400watts

Any suggestions?