Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old June 13th, 2007, 01:28 PM

Vista Question

Is there a way to disable the window that asks you if you want to allow this program to run when you go to open a program? It's pretty annoying

Also(so i dont have to start a new thread) when i'm double tasking with vista it will randomly freeze up for like a minute, even if i press ctrl alt delete the task manager wont even open but it will become responsive like a minute later and everything will be fine, it seems to only happen when i have two of any programs running. I failed to mention the first time that when it freezes i can still move my mouse but i can't open or click on anything.

Last edited by ArmoredFury; June 13th, 2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old June 13th, 2007, 03:23 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Hi there,

You can disable User Account Control (UAC) by clicking Start > Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Safety > User Accounts > Turn User Account on or off.
Although Microsoft doesn't recommend doing this, it's a personal choice decision.

Looking at your spec's, you wouldn't expect any problems running with all the bells and whistles. I did have exactly the same problem as yourself. I guess Vista is RAM very hungry as I added 1GB and it's running as sweet as a nut now. Having said that there are a number of other thing's to try before adding RAM;
  • Event Viewer
    When/if non-responsiveness happens again, open up event viewer to see if it's logged there. Navigate through Start > Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Administrative Tools and open up Event Viewer in the right hand pane.

• Windows Experience Index
    Open Performance Information and Tools by clicking the Start button > Control Panel > System and Maintenance > System and click on Check your computer's Windows Experience Index base score.
    A computer with a base score of 4.0 or 5.0 is able to run all new features of Windows Vista with full functionality, and it is able to support high-end, graphics-intensive experiences, such as multiplayer and 3 D gaming and recording and playback of HDTV content. Computers with a base score of 5.0 were the highest performing computers available when Windows Vista was released...more details here.

• Performance Information and Tools
    From Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Performance Information and Tools, click on Advanced Tools in the left pane. You have a number of options available to you.

• Turn Off Aero
    Why you would want to do it, I don't know but right (or alternate) click the desktop > Personalize, click Window Colour and appearance, click Open classic appearance....and choose Windows Vista Basic option.

Last edited by dohray; June 13th, 2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old June 13th, 2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohray View Post

[*]Windows Experience Index
Open Performance Information and Tools by clicking the Start button > Control Panel > System and Maintenance > System and click on Check your computer's Windows Experience Index base score.
A computer with a base score of 4.0 or 5.0 is able to run all new features of Windows Vista with full functionality, and it is able to support high-end, graphics-intensive experiences, such as multiplayer and 3 D gaming and recording and playback of HDTV content. Computers with a base score of 5.0 were the highest performing computers available when Windows Vista was released...more details here.
[/LIST]
My windows experience is rated at 5.0, i'm at school right now so i can't try anything out right now.
Old June 13th, 2007, 06:00 PM

Well i went into event log and there are several warnings and errors and critical events that happened too many for me to type down, is there anything in specific i'm looking for?
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:00 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
When you open up Event Viewer, is there a 'plus' sign next to Critical to expand the tree? Thankfully, there are no critical errors showing in my logs. I might be a little concerned if there were.

Sample here.

If there are any in yours, double click on one to open it up and read what it says. Possibly click on the "Event Log Online Help" to see if there is a fix.

Also, if you expand the Windows Logs in the left hand pane, you can select from Application and System warnings and errors.

Zen info'.

As I said before, adding more RAM fixed it for me but that was without any critical errors. It's either that or possibly a format and re-install of your OS?
Old June 15th, 2007, 01:33 PM

I had all kinds of errors but none that i personally from reading would think that vista would go non-responsive over. The only error that i was interested in was the ACPI (IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 7, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.) error. It says that like over and over for different pci slots
Old June 20th, 2007, 11:57 PM

My machine freezes when I run Adobe alongside another program. I also put it down to being RAM hungry. It doesn't like Roxio running with another program either.