Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old February 13th, 2023, 06:23 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Wake Acer Laptop from Sleep Mode with fingerprint sensor

When I got my Acer Aspire A517-52 in October, I was impressed by being able to wake it up directly, by scanning the fingerprint sensor. Somewhere along the line, I've lost this clever little capability and I want it back!

The fingerprint sensor works fine, but it just lacks that bit of magic I had before. Now I have to hit the power button and THEN swipe the snsor to log in.

Not the end of the world, I know, but it sure was nice to swipe that sensor and watch the Acer come to life. Can anyone help?
Old February 14th, 2023, 07:31 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
There are reports on the ACER Site, and Windows 10 Support, about this happening after Windows did it's monthly updates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACER Support
A recent Windows update may cause the fingerprint reader to stop working. The Windows update installs an updated fingerprint reader driver, that requires the fingerprint to be setup again. Use the following steps to to update your fingerprint.
  1. Attempt to login with your fingerprint reader until you are prompted to login with your PIN.
  2. Enter your PIN to login to the system.
  3. Click the Start menu and click Settings.
  4. Select Accounts.
  5. Click Remove in the fingerprint section. This will remove your previous fingerprint setup information.
  6. Click Set up and follow the instructions on your screen to complete the fingerprint setup.
  7. Login with your fingerprint to confirm it is working. If you are still experiencing a problem, please contact Acer support for further assistance.

Signed: Ensign Tzap
Old February 15th, 2023, 03:05 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Many thanks, Ensign Tzap

Your suggestion worked as advertised, but didn't address my issue. The Fingerprint reader has worked properly all along. What it WON'T do anymore is bypass the power button and wake the sleeping laptop from scratch. This small step-saver was working when I first got the Acer, but now it's gone back to Power button>fingerprint reader for wake up.
Old February 15th, 2023, 04:32 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Also,

Check in BIO's CMO's Settings for "Wake up from" Keyboard, USB port, Lan, Mouse Pad, etc...

Signed: Ensign Tzap

Last edited by Ensign Tzap; February 15th, 2023 at 04:44 AM.