Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old October 26th, 2005, 05:45 AM

Question Question dues.......

I've been wanting to fix an error on my computer for awhile now and i cant seem to figure out what to do!!!

It involves resetting an assocation but i simply DONT KNOW how to do it!!!
Its my .lnk files (Shortcuts) -- I looked it up with winfile,its pointed to "Shortcut into a document" and .shb is also pointed there.......When i look in FILE TYPES,it isnt there!!! But when i try and "create it new" it says its assigned to "lnkfile" .. Something is misconfigured..

Heres one of my right click SHORTCUT MENUS,you'll notice "Scan for virus's" is listed 2 times (The assocation isnt configured correctly) clicking either one opens Mcafee.....

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KH11M6BA (Must be viewed with Wordpad or an equal application)

My question is,HOW DO I RESET THE ASSOCATION?? I have tried everything!!

Thanx guys

Last edited by The Dude; October 26th, 2005 at 06:41 PM.
Old October 26th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

I remember you wrestling with this one before. Way too far down the road for restoring an earlier registry copy. One MS fix that isn't listed for 98 but seems solid is to go to a machine with a similar 98 loaded and get a fresh key copy from there. Use regedit to export the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk key from the other pc, back up your registry, then click on the export file to have it copy into your registry.

(That mega site must have a traffic jam going - takes too long to stick around to find out what's loaded).
Old October 26th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
If I'm understanding the question correctly (never a sure thing ), maybe the Microsoft Knowledge Base article, Restoring .lnk file associations will help.
Old October 26th, 2005, 06:40 PM

Thank you Miz,i updated my link to show more clearly whats going on..... (Yes,the megaupload site isnt that good)
Old November 2nd, 2005, 08:22 AM

I found the correct fix!!!! (Reg edit) But i cannot apply it!!!!!

THE SHORTCUT ARROWS COME BACK!!

A couple years ago i took the latest updates for Win98 --- After i took the updates,my TweakUI could no longer get rid of the arrows...... (That was be4 i knew how bad MS is getting,taking away flexability,etc.....)

I dunno how i ended up losing them (Thankfully -- Well,my 'LNKFILE' is misconfigured maybe is why,i dunno)

I checked the registry and found SHELL ICONS and #29 is the one that is SUPPOSED to control those arrows.....(IT DOESNT ANYMORE) I can change it all i want but it doesnt change when i refresh my icons!!!! I looked @ shell32.dll and found the icon for the arrow (resource 161) .. I can replace it and make it nothing,but i dont know how to replace that file!!!!! (Its active and cant be edited in real time (@ least i dont know how to))

I tried disabling EXPLORER.EXE and then moving the edited copy i made into my sys dir,but when i try to rename "shell32.dll" it says its still running

I dont like Microsoft at all!! If i had known then what i now NOW about them,i wouldnt have taken those last updates 2 years ago (I had no problem getting rid of the arrows before then)

I discovered if i goto SHORTCUT in my registry and remove the key that says "Isshortcut" the arrow dissapears!! (But then its misconfigured again)

Anyone have any ideas???? For now im gonna restore my registry cause I HATE THOSE ARROWS!!!!!!!!!
Old November 2nd, 2005, 02:32 PM

It would be better to stick to one topic on this instead of two. I told you in this thread how to reset them and if you have two of something it usually happens when you have installed something twice without first un-installing the old one.

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...ad.php?t=88873

Last edited by Idnew; November 2nd, 2005 at 02:35 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 03:15 PM

I found this very informative. It was written for Win95 but I checked a few things and it still applies to 98 also. Maybe your fix is in here. I didn't read or do all of the suggestions.

How to fix file associations
Old November 2nd, 2005, 08:07 PM

I have figured out how to fix the assocation (Per my message above) Now i have to figure out how to remove the arrow so i can correct it......

And sorry IDNEW,i must have 4gotton about da other thread......Thank you 4 your help mate!!!
Old November 2nd, 2005, 08:50 PM

O/S: Windows 98 SE
Try d/l'ing latest version of TWEAKUI
Remember to use ver 1.33 for W98, etc. Not XP.
Mine removes shortcut arrows using Explorer tab.

Last edited by Nick Grana; November 2nd, 2005 at 08:57 PM.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 03:29 AM

Do you have ALL THE UPDATES OF WIN98?? If not,thats why it works for you

I checked.......I have 1.33 on here!!!!
Old November 3rd, 2005, 04:38 AM

I think i found the update that disabled TWEAKUI from doing this,i think its this update -- Ever since i took this 2 yrs ago,TWEAKUI WILL NOT REMOVE THE ARROWS!!!!

Does anyone know exactly what this update does?? And if there is a way of changing what was done by this update??

Something about a Buffer Check or something
Old November 3rd, 2005, 07:52 AM

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I opened SFC and extracted SHELL32.DLL from C:\Win98 and my extention is fixed 100%!!!! (Im now using the original SHELL32.dll that came with my computer)

Boy it took me awhile to figure it out Thanx to all for your help