Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old November 9th, 2004, 01:49 PM

Red face Lost Files

After downloading Service Pack 2 my computer would not let me in. I bought a new computer and Microsoft Tech Help, helped me find and transfer my files. They wouldn't help me find or transfer my emails and address books. Can anyone help me to do this. They are in Outlook Express and the old hard drive is connected to my new computer. Thank you in advance for any help.
Old November 9th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Outlook Express keeps its data in .dbx files and the address book is either a .wab or .pab file...usually .wab.

Search the old drive for "*.dbx" (without the quotes, with the asterisk and dot). Then use Outlook Express's File>Import>Messages utility, pointing at the various .dbx files your search found on the old drive.

If it doesn't find any dbx file, you need to "un-hide" the hidden files. Open My Computer,go to Tools>Folder Options>View tab and check "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide system files," click OK. Run the search again.

For the address book, search for "*.wab." Once found, use Outlook Express's File>Import>Address book feature, pointing it at the .wab file you found.
Old November 9th, 2004, 04:36 PM

be wary of overwriteing new emails

Please ensure any new emails you have recevied are placed in a newly created folder (with a different name to any of the folders you may be importing) to ensure that, when you import your old folders, they are not overwritten.

They can then be dragged back later into wherever you wish to file them.

Old November 9th, 2004, 07:23 PM

Thanks guys.

I have located the .dbx files which are in a folder called Outlook Express but can't get to find them when i'm given the options after message utility, can you tell me how to point at these files please. I also changed the names of the new email folders so they don't get overwritten (thanks for that tip).
I also looked for the *wab and *pab files but even after changing the show hidden files, nothing appeared . Any ideas?
Old November 10th, 2004, 05:50 PM

still struggling!

Hi Miz

Well as regards the .dbx files, I finally found what I was looking for, as the Chimes said in that song, but for some reason it has only copied over emails up to the end of 2002, nothing later. I think that was when the old computer was a new one and the emails are from the old, old machine (if that makes sense) i.e. nothing since the computer was new (2 years ago) has been transfered over, that includes folders that had been created since 2002. They were not showing in the outlook folder. Any ideas? Also still can't find the .wab's. Thanks