Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old June 11th, 2010, 03:53 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Problem starting windows firewall on vista.

Having big trouble with the Other half laptop. Its windows vista home premium 32bit.

I been running zonealams and avira AV on it since day one, But am now using windows FW and Security essential on all my PCs .

On her laptop I can't get the windows firewall turned on.

All other required services are set to auto & Are running / started. The firewall service is set to auto but doesnt start by default, It also can't be turned on manually either.

Tried the following so far normal and safe mode, also activated administrator account and done the same in there.

- All registry keys seem to be intacted and set as should be
- Ensured all previous AV & FW software was 100% uninstalled
- run as admin "netsh firewall set opmode enabled" .
- run as admin "netsh winsock reset"
- deleted and recreated the user prof
- Have created new user
- scrolled about 1000 forums regarding this issue but all just point to restarting / reseting winsock via cmd. and all above which i had already done

Im getting very frustrated here, is there any other cmd's I could use here? I h any advice would be very good!

Nick
Old June 11th, 2010, 08:23 PM

Did you try the "fix it for me" program here?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283673
Old June 15th, 2010, 05:16 PM

Hey CyberTek.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunatley it appears fix it for me only works for XP, But I tried all the other manual sugestions on that link, Also I tried the suggestion on the vista section link in that section also, both with no joy.

Surely this isnt going to result in a complete rebuild of the vista build =(
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:01 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi Nick. It might help if I can see some logs of what is running on her computer. Go here and download DDS to your Desktop and doubleclick on DDS.scr to run it. When the scan has finished, two logs will open. Copy and paste both reports in this topic. The logs will be reasonably large so you may have to divide them into sections and make several posts to post them.
Old June 16th, 2010, 08:51 AM

Hi AnnMarie

Thanks for the reply.

Was about to run DDS this morning only to discover that her charger has now broke! and ofcourse her battery was good as flat lol this laptop is driving me nuts! wont be able to buy her a new charger for a good few weeks (pay day yay) I might beable to get hold of a charge from work just to run DDS with. if not ill have to post it here in a few weeks I guess.

Thanks again!

Nick
Old June 16th, 2010, 11:15 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
No problem, we will still be here.