Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old January 22nd, 2021, 04:04 PM

Many attempts before PC will boot up

Recently my PC has started switching itself off after a short time of not being used (ie, an hour or so). Or perhaps I should say that the PC seems to be still running but the screen is just blank.

All I can do is switch it off, but then when I switch it back on again the screen just stays blank. I'm having to keep switching it off with the power button and then back on again. After several attempts it will boot up but it seems to be totally random.
Old January 22nd, 2021, 04:28 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
When you turn it on with a blank screen, is the power supply fan spinning?

How about sleep mode is it turned on?
Old January 22nd, 2021, 04:45 PM

I assume the fan's still spinning because it's just making the normal sounds that it does when the PC's running.
In "Settings" I've gone to System>Power & sleep, which has a sub-heading on it labelled "Screen" and under this sub-heading there's a drop-down box entitled "When plugged in, turn off after". The options in this box are various times ranging from 1 minute right through to Never. I've got "3 Hours" selected, but it's checking out on me long before this.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 08:25 AM

if above replies didn't work then you can try to remove your RAM clean them with any cleaning liquid and then reinsert it. Surely this will work for you.

Thank you
Old February 2nd, 2021, 02:39 PM

Thanks to everyone who replied. Unfortunately, all solutions suggested, in the end didn't work. Finally I had to take my PC to the guy I usually go to. It turned out that the problem wasn't with my PC, but with my monitor. I've now got another monitor and everything's working fine. Thanks again.