Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 11

Notices

Windows 11 Problem solving for the Windows 11 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old April 13th, 2023, 02:07 AM

System Slow During High Internet Usage?

Got this system August 2022 from factory (and out of date ten seconds after it left).
Basic system specs.

Dell XPS 8950
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621)
Processor: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700 (20 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
Display Memory: 16092 MB

I disabled a bunch of 'wares/crap from M$, as I always do. Nothing boots up with Windows other than what is in the core OS and several programs. Most are very small and use up little RAM. So pretty lightweight with these specs.

What I can not understand falls in two parts.

1 > Sometimes on a boot, everything is just slow to load. Libre Office, Firefox, VLC. Takes a reboot or two to get things loading as "normal" as Windows loads them. Never ZIPPED open warp fast, sadly, just... Windows normal.

No idea why that happens.

2 > Some programs will bring this system to a screeching crawl, even though by watching Task Manager nothing is 100% super high. Firestorm, Epic Games Client (especially when downloading), uTorrent, (hey, there are companies do use them too legitly... [going to trademark that word]), some games (locally).

I just do not understand why the system practically freezes at times when running those programs. Even after un/reinstalls, junk file and registry cleans, SFC, DSIM, etc. Every thing other than a format/reload to even test if things work better after or not.

All programs installed on the M2 drive where Windows is. Anything that can run without being installed, and data, on other drives.

After typing all this, making me wonder if using the Internet with high usage (gaming/downloads) has anything to do with all this. I have 20M/2M.

Wonder if anyone reading this may have some thoughts to something I may not have thought of.

Thanks.
Old April 15th, 2023, 09:46 PM

ISP is Spectrum, using 20M/2M. Speeds test within that range.
N600 WiFi Cable Modem Router.
Old April 17th, 2023, 02:43 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Did this just start? Windows 11 does have some bugs. Did it run OK when you first got it?
Old April 17th, 2023, 09:32 PM

Started months back. Been trying dozens of things, short of reloading the OS or begging for money to buy an updated modem.
Things were a lot quicker from day one but of course things eventually slow down, but was months back did the freezing on Internet related programs become an issue.
Old April 17th, 2023, 11:24 PM

Interesting though that even though the system will freeze trying to load a web page (especially Youtube), from any browser, it can play tubitv.com fine.
Old April 18th, 2023, 06:12 AM

https://www.easeus.com/partition-man...ted%20firmware

Could be your M2 drive is the problem.
Old April 18th, 2023, 01:04 PM

Hmm, will look into that. If those free downloads are freewares (opposed to free to download but pay to use), I will certainly try them and the other steps. Will probably take me some days to do it all.
Old April 18th, 2023, 11:59 PM

Guess some of those were not going to take as long as I thought.
I did two of the tests and they seem quite fine.

https://www.mediafire.com/view/f82lw...nshot.png/file

https://www.mediafire.com/view/rdn93...nshot.png/file
Old April 19th, 2023, 11:34 AM

And only when any amount of data is being transferred with the Internet. I can play games like Horizon Zero Dawn with no problem. But loading a website or Epic Games, utorrent, etc. will cause problems. Again, funny I can play tubitv.com movies (my only source of free movie watching) but when I do anything else like loading another web tab, system studders, or crawls depending on what program is loaded.
Wondering if it is communication issues between router/modem and PC to cause these issues??
Old May 5th, 2023, 03:00 AM

As far as I can so far tell, and Dell support is sooooo useless, is the issue is most likely between Windows 11 and the Killer network controller (which is integrated into the motherboard).
I have removed/disabled everything "Killer" I can find.
M$ W11 is as updated as always can be.
System still crawls when using anything Internet related.
Old May 5th, 2023, 03:32 AM

If your using the onboard NIC that could ge the problem. For about $10 you can get a Pcie NIC card, see if that solves the problem.
Old May 20th, 2023, 02:00 PM

Long journey but issue solved (for now). I was plagued by the Intel Killer network software and Window$ incompatibility, and corruption. The only way to solve it eventually was a reload of the OS in the end. So at some point some update months ago, from either/both vendors, caused the problem and no amount of playing around with software/drivers helped.

Reloaded last weekend after all other fixing attempts failed. Did a lot of testing for the past week and even now I am typing this while both Epic Games is downloading games and got Linux distributions and public domain torrents running, and my CPU is under 6% and RAM under 55%. No system slow downs or lag. Roblox and Riot games load fast again too.

Help from Dell was... time wasting. They refused to do a data collection and analyze system logs. They did not research the issue even when I told them about the Killer conflict. Many of them were soooooooooooo focused on my WIFI connections, even thought I am using Ethernet only for the system in question. I had to repeat myself a dozen times on several things with them because no one reads what I say. Outsourced tech support at its finest!

Thank you. Your suggestion is what led me to troubleshooting that and finding out it was in fact the cause for months. You helped me fix this.

A woot woot!

Will see how it goes from here...

Last edited by CyberTrek; May 20th, 2023 at 02:05 PM.