Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old September 6th, 2005, 09:22 AM

Do I need to purchase a new OS??

I have a Dell Dimension 4300 with Windows XP Home installed. The HDD has failed with an error message: EIDE controller operating outside normal specifications, which I assume means an HDD failure. The sixty million dollar question is: With a newly installed HDD would I be able to recover the OS with the original System Restore CD, or is all lost so that need buy a new copy of XP? Also, when I install a new HDD will I be able to recover data from the failed HDD using it as the slave?
Old September 6th, 2005, 09:50 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Hi Verbatim

Your assumption about the HDD is most likely correct, a new HDD should solve this. You should install this drive and use your recovery disk to place the operating system on to it. Then you could try placing the old drive in as a slave to see if you can recover all your files (documents, pictures, e-mail etc).

Good luck.
Old September 6th, 2005, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Seagoon
Hi Verbatim

Your assumption about the HDD is most likely correct, a new HDD should solve this. You should install this drive and use your recovery disk to place the operating system on to it. Then you could try placing the old drive in as a slave to see if you can recover all your files (documents, pictures, e-mail etc).

Good luck.
Many thanks......keeping everything crossed!!
Old September 6th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Banned

here is one more trick that works half the time if you cannot see your old drive as a slave...
Take old drive and put it in a sealed plastic bag in the freezer for about 2 hours. Take it out, plug it in and boot up quickly and if you see it it will only be for about 1/2 hour so work quickly copying from old to new drive to save your files.
Old October 1st, 2005, 12:09 PM

Thanks for the help. I wasn't able to get the old HDD working as the master but have installed a new one and the old one seems to be working fine as a slave.