Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old December 1st, 2003, 12:16 AM

IE6: Action Cancelled

Ive had this problem for months and have tried nearly everything I can think of to fix it over that time.. but when I try to play any video clip on www.techtv.com (so far, havent had any problems with any other sites), the pop up window opens up and I can choose the 56k or 165k stream option, but when i go to try and play it, I get the error:

"Action canceled
Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable.

--------------------------------------------------
------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you have visited this page previously and you want to view what has been stored on your computer, click File, and then click Work Offline.

For information about offline browsing with Internet Explorer, click the Help menu, and then click Contents and Index.

Internet Explorer "

This also happens with some 'would-be' frames all over the tech tv website.. same exact error message.. for example, right in the top right corner on the front page where there should be an ad or something. My info:

Processor: Athlon XP 2600+, Asus A7N8X-X
RAM: 512x2 DDR400 Single Channel
Video: GeForce 4 Ti4600 (4x agp)

Help!

Also - Ive downloaded other browsers such as netscape in the past, and everything works fine across the entire site on those browsers - but Id like to try to keep the number of programs for things at a minimum - IE6 should work! Firewall disabled... ive tried everything i can think of.. and its only that site!
Old December 1st, 2003, 08:36 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hi Siege, welcome to CTH

I've spent a few minutes at that site and I can't find any clips to test with, so I'm going to have to make an assumption that it isn't the site that has a fault.

One possibility is that IE's security settings are too high and they're blocking the ActiveX control that handles the movie - ActiveX is used more and more in place of plugins, unfortunately.
Old December 1st, 2003, 10:38 AM

alright, but no one else seems to be having this problem.. ive posted on the techtv forums and my thread only goes unanswered no matter how many times i bump it.. heres a page loaded with clips -

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/s...274411,00.html

ive turned down the sercurity settings as well just to view the page and it hasnt worked.
Old December 1st, 2003, 08:10 PM
CTH Subscriber

Have you upgraded your Windows Media Player at www.microsoft.com? It may be that doing so will fix the associations (or whatever is causing the problem)
Old December 1st, 2003, 11:08 PM

yes, everything is all updated.. I do everything I know how to keep everything updated, all my drivers are up to date, I tweak what I know that I can safely.. and other frames all over the website are giving me the same action cancelled message.. frames that dont utilize WMP.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 08:36 PM
CTH Subscriber

hmm no disrespect intended but what kinds of things have you been tweaking? Could you have done something to break the movies inadvertently?
Old December 3rd, 2003, 12:34 AM

only tweaking video settings, and i only change around IE settings if i know exactly what they do, nothing should be causing whats going on with my browser at that site - and every other site i go to works perfectly fine. Netscape loads the site fine, and IE doesnt. Im very boggled.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 07:27 PM

I went to their site and ran the "Whoa... it's like a little city, man" video clip, aside from the video being choppy and constantly "buffering" (which is being caused by my lame dial-up connection (would someone PLEASE hire me so I can get broadband)) it worked ok.

I have I.E. 6 SP1 ver 6.0.2800.1106. Try closing I.E. and going in to the Control Panel and then into Internet Options and under the SECURITY, PRIVACY, and ADVANCED tabs click on the DEFAULT bottons under each one. Then try running the clip again.