Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old September 21st, 2009, 02:49 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Laptop Problem

I have a Toshiba Equium A100-027 and am having a problem with the screen.

When i open the laptop lid fully, nothing is displayed on the screen! or fuzzy lines are displayed.

I can only see what i'm supposed to (i.e the OS loading or the desktop) when i keep the screen half open.

Why is this? What can i do to solve it?
Old September 21st, 2009, 03:23 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
That sounds like an issue that needs to be taken up with Toshiba. I hope it is still under warranty.
Old September 21st, 2009, 03:34 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Hi Peter, I'm not familiar with that particular model, but it's pretty likely to be a poor connection between the mobo and the screen.

I too hope it is within warranty - if so, give tosh service centre a call and take it from there. If not........

There's a ribbon cable that connects the graphic card on your mobo to the TFT screen. You need to get it open and reseat or replace if damaged that ribbon.

Very very occasionaly, you can resolve a problem like this using the following method:
place your thumb against the bezel around the screen, with a finger on the corresponding part of the outside - effectively pinching the bezel between thumb and finger.
Slowly, and with even pressure, run your thumb and finger around the screen to see if it resolves the issue. sometimes it pops back into life, most times it doesnt.

Also, before you do anything more, hook up an external monitor to the VGA or DVI port and see if you have any output that way.
I seem to recall it's Fn/F5 to toggle between internal and external monitors on a Tosh.

A WORD OF WARNING!
Don't start taking the thing apart unless you are totally confident that you can disasemble and reassemble fully, without forcing one single part. You'd be amazed how easy it is to break a vital clip or fastner, not to mention loosing screws and widgets!

If you are confident enough, get the workshop manual downloaded (it may take a while to locate it, and may cost you a handful of bucks) and follow the dissassembly instructions to the letter.

See if the cable is seated properly and take it from there.

Follow the reassembly instructions to the letter.

Way way down the line, if still no joy, you may well have a fried TFT.
It'd be worth a quick Google for a replacement, and see if you can stomach the price.
As a last resort, get a shop to do it, but your talking big bucks here - as in almost the price of a new laptop. Ouch.