Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:53 PM

Trouble with connecting a Wireless Router- Please help!

This might sound strange but, I need to connect a wireless router to a wired computer.

I have an older computer that I mainly use but cannot connect to a wireless router, so I use a wired one.

I do however, have other devices I want to connect wirelessly (PSP, DS, Xbox) and will be getting a new laptop soon.

So I got a wireless router that also has slots for it to be connected through wires. (Specifically this one)

I went through the instructions on the disc but it just says there's no internet connection. As soon as I unattach The ethernet, etc. from my wired router, the computer drops the connection (as to be expected) and I have no idea what to do. I ended up reattaching everything and have internet again (obviously, haha) but I don't know how to switch over to this new router.

I don't know if this is important, but the instructions never mention two of the cords that are on my router, so maybe it's assuming I'm going from one wireless router to another? Or the instructions assume your computer is wireless capable?

What am I doing wrong? Is there an easy, step-by-step guide for dummies somewhere on how to do this?

Thanks for any help.
Old March 26th, 2009, 11:39 PM

Seriously?! No one knows?! This sucks.