Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old September 10th, 2013, 05:57 PM

Red face QoS for home network?

Hello and thanks for looking at this problem!

There are currently 2 PCs (amongst a handfull of Wi-Fi enabled devices) in my household. The Modem+Router **Netgear DG834G - firmware version V4.03.04** connects both these PCs to the internet via ethernet (and of course the Wi-Fi devices through...well, Wi-Fi!)

I recently purchased a **ZyXEL ES108A 8 port 10/100 Desktop Switch** with the hopes that gaming traffic would be prioritised but am having trouble configuring it i.e. what goes in which hole

The perfect solution would be that both PCs would have gaming traffic prioritised but if not then 1 PC would suffice. I understand QoS is a hop-by-hop system, does this mean my router is required to implement QoS too?

It could be impossible to achieve this dream with this hardware but at just over a tenner I thought it was worth a punt!

Thanks in advance!
Old September 10th, 2013, 08:09 PM

I'm looking at using the Netgear DG834G in modem only mode, this way the QoS packets will not revert to 'normal traffic' when handled by the DG834G and interfacing with the WAN...riiiight?