Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:30 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
SATA Controller Settings?

I knew the identity of my chipset and board, but for the fun of it, Ijust ran Intel chipset identifcation utility. The results, pasted below, reminded me that my settings are in IDE mode which I think is the default.

While I do have two HDDs, both SATA 2, 250 & 160GBs respectively, the second is not for storage, but to maintain a perfect clone via XXclone; both are bootable, so I never configured RAID.

I also put the backup drive---whichever it is at a given point--- to sleep after I boot using Revosleep. It doesn't spin, use energy, emenate heat. One of the best freewares I ever found, and if you have more than two drives, you can put all those you are not working in to sleep and wake them up in a nano.

Would there be any point in my configuring raid? I don't see any, given my setup. And re the former, should I switch the controller setting to the other in the bios? If I did, what would that accomplish?

Thanks very much.

Last edited by Jill; February 12th, 2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:14 AM

If it's working fine, then don't bother change it.
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l337_GuY View Post
If it's working fine, then don't bother change it.
How do I know what "fine" is? I think you are sahyng, if it ain't broke do not mess with it, Jilly!" If so, you know me better than there is any explanation for!
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:04 AM

If you aren't having any problems with what you have, no point losing everything to set it up differently (RAID setups require completely blank HDD's).

Well anyway, If you were to use RAID (RAID1 mirroring I would guess), you wouldn't be able to use the second HDD, well you might be able to but only if the first HDD only went up to 160GB useable space also. And RAID only works best when the HDD's are identical, so head movements etc are in sync.
Old February 13th, 2008, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l337_GuY View Post
If you aren't having any problems with what you have, no point losing everything to set it up differently (RAID setups require completely blank HDD's).

Well anyway, If you were to use RAID (RAID1 mirroring I would guess), you wouldn't be able to use the second HDD, well you might be able to but only if the first HDD only went up to 160GB useable space also. And RAID only works best when the HDD's are identical, so head movements etc are in sync.
You could not be more right. In every way. I am, hardly for the first time....trying to fix that whichis not broke.

Yes, another wondrous thing about XXclone is....unlie other software, it cares nothing about drives of disparate sizes!

Last irony: I am such a compuer cleaning compulsive.....I have under 14GBs of data in both the drives in this system. and that is with tons of MP3 files and two penguin moves. lol.

A will I ever need more storage? Will I ever relaly need RAID?
No.
I believe you have cured me and for this, I thank you!