Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 95

Notices

Windows 95 Problem solving for the Windows 95 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old April 2nd, 2003, 07:42 PM

booting up

when trying to start up a gateway 2000 running win 95, it takes sometimes 10 minutes for something to show on the monitor like loading windows. the light on the start switch stays on but it seems like the hard drive isn't running. could that be responsible for it not loading up??? sometimes it loads one screen then quits.Once windows loads it will stay on all day. anyone help??
Old April 2nd, 2003, 10:59 PM

With no information, that's hard to tell, but from the sounds of it, you've probably got a lot of "internet trash" slowing things down. Have you done any clean-up on this OS? Spyware? Cookies, Temp Files, etc? How much empty space do you have left? When was the last time that you ran Scandisk and Defrag? If you have very little diskspace left, don't run Scandisk - get rid of all the unimportant stuff first (you can delete data files and use the Add/Remove Programs to get rid of any applications that you no longer need). Is your Anti Virus program up to date? When was the last time that you scanned for viruses? What is your AV program manufacturer?
Old April 4th, 2003, 03:58 AM

ALFONS, I'm running 75% free. I've only got 8 programs installed in add and remove programs.