Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old August 13th, 2006, 05:48 PM

New Intel Mobile Chip

I was just getting ready to buy a new laptop this morning and a seemingly knowledgeable guy told me that Intel was coming out with a new Duo 4 chip in the next 30 days for laptops that was much better and I should wait the 30 days. The clerk at the stop (who would have trouble setting his VCR) didn't know anything about it . Is this true and should I wait? I was looking in the $1500 range.
Old August 13th, 2006, 05:58 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
the new chip is going to be high, might be out of your range depending upon what you are looking for in a laptop. Also though it may be released in a month (did not verify this info) it may be a few more weeks before its available or enough of a supply for most laptop brands.

One thing about computers, they are always coming out with something different. You can wait for a specific product - but that is up to you. Right now since that new chip is coming out, the older chips though not the newest technology but will still do everything you want it to do will be cheaper thus laptops will be cheaper.

So my advise is if you only use the laptop for general usage and not a serious gamer or graphic progessional, then theres no need for the latest - go for it now.

Last edited by renegade600; August 13th, 2006 at 06:00 PM.
Old August 13th, 2006, 07:20 PM

Agree with the above poster. Even if it is released next month.. by the time it gets filtered down to the retailers it could be a two month wait. Even then it will probably be out of your price range. The only benefit you might see is lower prices for existing products. Even that takes time to filter down.
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:32 PM

New Intel Mobile Chip

Thank you for your quick response. I will order today. I showed your postings to the boss (my wife) and she has given me her approval which is required for any purchase over $3.00. Off to order.

Thanks Again