Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Malware Removal

Notices

Malware Removal Discussion about Trojans, viruses, hoaxes, firewalls, spyware, and general Security issues. If you suspect your PC is infected with a virus, trojan or spyware app please include any supporting documentation or logs

Topic Tools
Old February 14th, 2006, 01:22 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Talking What is the best anti virus , adaware/spyware program ??

hi there i have tried alot of of anti spyware/adware stuff and they all do different things sum are better then other there are alot differnces , What is the best anti virus , adaware/spyware program ??
Old February 14th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

I use ZoneAlarm Security Suite. But if I though i had a problem i would use Adaware and HiJackThis.

I think you'll find that most use a combination of tools from different manufacturers.

Generally you will have a better collection of programs doing it that way than with an all in one package.
Old February 14th, 2006, 02:39 PM

O/S: MacOS
Do Not! use Norton internet security. Norton internet security 2006 has nearly crippled my system this year. I used Outpost Pro Firewall all last year which was great. For ad/spyware, I recommend using spyware blaster and spybot together which stops 99.9% getting into the system.

Hope This Helps.
Old February 14th, 2006, 02:41 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
i use norton system works 2006 premier u think i should stick with that ?
Old February 14th, 2006, 02:45 PM

O/S: MacOS
If its working for you stick with it. Iv not had a lot of joy with norton products this year though. I would also download an any spyware program like spybot as im not sure if norton removes spyware I know the 2005 verson dident.
Old February 14th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Malware Removal Team

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Quote:
What is the best anti virus , adaware/spyware program ??
Use Norton...Don't use Norton...etc...

Look at the infected logs in this forum. All the antivirus are present. Even Kaspersky !

YOU are the first antivirus for your computer.
Old February 14th, 2006, 03:13 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by windoo
hi there i have tried alot of of anti spyware/adware stuff and they all do different things sum are better then other there are alot differnces , What is the best anti virus , adaware/spyware program ??
That is one question that you will get as many different answers as you will get response. In the past I have used Nortons and trendmicro internet security Suite and had no problems with either. I don't have or need an antivirus/antispyware for now.

As far as the argument with nortons, the only real problem is it is installed on systems that cannot handle it or the user don't know what they are doing - which in most cases are not their fault. IMO, some features are not user friendly.

If you are already using nortons or some other and it is working for you, theres no reason to get rid of it. However, no matter which one you have installed on your computer, its always best to do an online scan every so often from another source for a second opinion. Theres stuff out there that will disable your installed antivirus stuff. The same with antispyware, I always used Spybot and adaware with a little microsoft antivirus thrown into the mix.

The biggest protection as already mention is you and what you do when you are online.
Old February 14th, 2006, 04:19 PM

That's not always the case though. I remeber when my sister signed up for cable internet and during the signup/connection she was infected with the blaster worm via the ISP.

At this point she didn't have a connection to the internet, just the ISP to continue with the signup.

You can't really blame her surfing habits for that.
Old February 14th, 2006, 08:21 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by degsy
That's not always the case though. I remeber when my sister signed up for cable internet and during the signup/connection she was infected with the blaster worm via the ISP.

At this point she didn't have a connection to the internet, just the ISP to continue with the signup.

You can't really blame her surfing habits for that.
but would she had gotten it if she had proper protection on her computer?
Old February 14th, 2006, 08:27 PM

Quote:
The biggest protection as already mention is you and what you do when you are online.
You would hope not, but that is not the point. It's not always the users fault if reputable sites/files happen to contain or spread a virus.

Quote:
I don't have or need an antivirus/antispyware for now
Quote:
but would she had gotten it if she had proper protection on her computer?
That could be a contradiction. What if you are infected directly because of your ISP (or even a floppy disk). Would you blame yourself for not having protection even though you don't use it?