Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old December 19th, 2005, 05:29 PM

format c:

can some one take a look at this and tell me what it means please, iv never came across this issue before....

Old December 19th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Looks like you are trying to format the drive while it is running windows.
Can't be done.

You need to boot into DOS or some other OS or program in memory to format the drive.
Old December 19th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
If you're trying to wipe the drive clean (format) in order to reinstall XP, boot to the XP CD. It can repartition and reformat and reinstall XP.

To boot to the CD, put your XP CD in the CD drive and boot up (or reboot). If the computer ignores the CD and boots on into Windows, you will need to get into the BIOS to move the CD drive up to first in the boot device order.
Old December 19th, 2005, 08:04 PM

It's nice to hava a utility like Wipedrv to clean the drive... do you have a startup diskette? If not if you can make one, if you still have access to a pc. A Windows 98 startup diskette will start all the OS. The startup diskette can be made in WinXP, click on My computer, then right click the A: drive choose format, then choose the option to make a startup diskette. You can then partition the drive, don't worry that it's Fat32, the WinXP install will prompt you to choose the NTFS filing system for WinXP, after selecting, your drive will be partitioned to work with WinXP using the NTFS. Once the drive is partitioned, it can be formatted to install WinXP.