Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old August 24th, 2005, 08:40 PM

Black screen after full screen game

I am absolutely stumped. Starting around 1300 GMT-5 050822, my computer has been displaying a black screen after exiting or minimizing a full screen game. The only thing still visible is the mouse cursor. The desktop still responds, and I am able to restore a minimized game, which solves the problem until I minimize it again or close it. I can also restart, which solves it until I open another game.This has occurred before, around one month ago. It eventually went away after a week or so. I posted back then, but no one responded. Hopefully someone can help me this time, because it is a very annoying problem.

So far, I have checked all my video card settings, made sure everything is updated, completed virus and spyware scans, defragmented, reinstalled graphics drivers, checked for unusual startup entries, and checked my Hijack This log. I was unable to determine what the cause of this phenomena was. For your convenience, here are my computer specifications.

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ processor
Biostar M7NCD Ultra mothreboard
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB video card
1024(2*512) MB PC3200 RAM

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Hopefully someone here can help me out.

Old August 24th, 2005, 09:43 PM
CTH Subscriber

Start by downloading the latest drivers from ATI and also downloading Direct x 9.0c from microsoft.
Old August 25th, 2005, 12:15 AM

As I said, I have already ensured that everything is updated(with the exception being Windows XP SP2). I updated to Catalyst 5.8 last Wednesday and updated DirectX to 9.0c at my last reformat, which was around 3 months ago.

Edit at 050824 2203 GMT-5:
The problem has apparently decided to spontaneously fix itself. If it follows it's usual pattern, it should resurface in about a month. Until then, thanks for the reply.

Last edited by UndeadsRUs; August 25th, 2005 at 03:04 AM.