Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old August 6th, 2005, 06:49 PM

DVD Drive not able to read CD/DVD after changing drive letter

Looking forward for all experts' assistance on this issue.

I have changed the drive letter of my DVD drive from
Computer Management
--> Storage
--> Disk Management

After changing the drive letter, my DVD drive failed to read the contents of the CD/DVD that it used to read. A "Please insert a disk into drive.." message is prompt when I tried to access the DVD drive from Windows Explorer.

Any advices?

My system is running on Windows XP SP1.

Thank you!
Old August 6th, 2005, 07:47 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Wecome to CTH Geraint

No experts on hand this evening, so you'll have to put at with my amateur fumblings

First advice, get XP SP2 on your system asap.

Do you use this machine on a network? As the "First network drive" option maybe set alphabetically lower than the new drive letter you gave the cd/dvd.

Have you rebooted since you made the change? May not have recognised it yet.

Do you see the drive, as you'd expect it, in My Computer? Wht does Device manager think it is (letter wise, that is)?

Reboot the machine, make sure you don't have any external drives or memory sticks plugged in and see what happens.
Old August 7th, 2005, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snurfen
Wecome to CTH Geraint

No experts on hand this evening, so you'll have to put at with my amateur fumblings

First advice, get XP SP2 on your system asap.

Do you use this machine on a network? As the "First network drive" option maybe set alphabetically lower than the new drive letter you gave the cd/dvd.

Have you rebooted since you made the change? May not have recognised it yet.

Do you see the drive, as you'd expect it, in My Computer? Wht does Device manager think it is (letter wise, that is)?

Reboot the machine, make sure you don't have any external drives or memory sticks plugged in and see what happens.
XP SP2 is another issue that I have encountered (may be in another thread).

Now for this tricky issue, I have taken my machine out from the network and rebooted it many times.

Some further descriptions:

My computer is able to detect the DVD drive. When I inserted a CD or DVD (both are readable before I change the drive letter) into the drive, the LED light on the system does light up, and the CD can be heard to be spinning. However after a while, the computer will prompt the "Please insert a disk into drive.." message.

I have tried remove the DVD drive from the computer using the Device Manager, and letting the computer detect it again. However the same issue still persists