Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old April 11th, 2005, 10:36 PM

DVD-RW can no longer read or write DVDs, but can read CD/CD-ROM

My DVD+/-RW External USB Burner suddenly will not read or write DVD even though the device manager says it's working properly and it shows up as a DVD-RW. It can read CD's and CD-ROMs just fine and I just reinstall Windows XP today, so it can't be the registry.

The problems occured after attempting to erase a DVD+RW using Deepburner. Basically I burnt a DVD and then tried out Deepburner to see if it would erase the DVD+RW. When I attempted to eject the DVD after running the erase it wouldn't eject- the green light just kept flashing a couple times. Eventually I had to turn my PC off and unhook the USB connection and power connection and then do everything again and restart the computer. Finally the DVD would eject, but since then will not read any DVDs, just CD's and CD-ROM.

The model is an external (USB) Micro-Solutions 2244010 (but really a NEC_DVD-RW, ND-1300A).

I updated the firmware to 1.0A about 6 months ago. I never had a single problem with this drive before or after updating the Firmware.

I really have no idea how or why this could have happened. I can play the DVDs in my other DVD drive just fine. Is there anyway to fix or overcome this problem? The drive is only a little over a year old and I really don't want to have to get a new one.