Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old January 15th, 2005, 06:16 PM

Trying to install a removeable hard drive its making me crazy! PLEASE HELP

Hello i recently bought a Genica GN210 Removable hard drive tray!I guess i thought installation would be simple boy i was wrong!
Ok i removed my existing hd,mounted the tray in one of the bays,hooked the hd into the removeable caddy only two connectors in it theres no way to do that part wrong!
Hooked the pc ribbon to the back of the new caddy/tray....just like it was hooked to my exisitng hd prior to me doing anything.Ribbon and power.
So simple but it doesnt detect it!
So i read the instructions
Set the jumpers on the hd to cable select...my god theres 15 different scenarios,so i looked for the picture that matched my jumpers(theres two)and it matched one of the pictures that said cable select.So i guess the jumpers are correct?
The directions mentioned something about the drive must be installed to the secondary channel for operation(i do not know what this means)Remember i installed it exactly as i removed it.
It mentions the bios setting to auto detect thats how it was set!
Not sure if this makes any difference but the pc is a dell 8200,running windows xp
Wow! can you help?
thanks
Old January 15th, 2005, 06:27 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Welcome to CTH

Confused? ARe you trying to replace the existing hard drive with this removable? Or added it as an additional hard drive?

If your trying trying to replace the existing hard drive, then the drive has to be partitioned/formatted.

Did the drive come with software???

Secondary means the 2nd IDE channel. Most desktops have 2 IDE channels. IDE-0 or 1 is the main one which you hook up the main hard drive to (ribbon cable) and you can connect a second hard drive/cdrom to the same cable. The other cable goes to the secondary IDE channell or IDE 1/2. You can connect cdroms/cdrws ect even additional hard drives to it. The hard drive that holds the operating system (main hard drive) must have the Operating System on it. (For your purpose).
Old January 15th, 2005, 07:11 PM

The drive is the main existing hd it already has windows xp on it.All im wanting to do is be able to easily remove the main hd.
I only want the one hd
thanks
Old January 15th, 2005, 08:43 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
If XP was installed on another computer, then you put the drive in, you may have a problem. XP don't like that. Can you get into SETUP - BIOS, usually DEL key at the first screen.

If you can, each BIOS screen is different, go to the first menu item, maybe called Standard, see if the HARD Drive is listed. Also you may be able to auto detect it in BIOS. If BIOS recognizes the drive, usually the very first boot screen tell you what drive is installed.

If you make any changes then SAVE & EXIT.

You may want to set to SYSTEM DEFAULTS while your in there.

If this does not help then during the booting does the Hard Drive Light come on at all? This would be an indication that the power and ribbon cable are connected correctly.

"Insert the removable hard drive rack into the removable hard drive bay. Use the included keys to place the keylock in the “locked” position ." Did you do this???