Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > The Anything Else Board

Notices

The Anything Else Board This board has been designed for all those subjects that don't quite fit in any of the other categories, and is also a place to share ideas and knowledge that you think might prove valuable to our other visitors

Topic Tools
Old April 12th, 2004, 11:29 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Mods + hackers

Just thinking out loud - sorry I should have put the jobel drinking warning first! - but what is the difference between a Mod and a hacker? they are both so knowledgable. Are Mods hackers in their spare time and help us simple people to correct their evil deeds or are they really angels?
There is absolutely no offence meant by this question, any blame lies with my other 3 personalities!
Old April 12th, 2004, 11:46 PM

Mods and hackers

I just read my posting! I hope I don't get banned or AnneMarie does'nt hit me with a wet mackeral! This is my favourite site. Sorry.
Old April 13th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

I think you're getting your terms mixed up.

On a forum a Moderator is a user who oversees the forums and can make changes, such as editing/moving/deleting posts.

A Modder (Modify/Modification) is a term used to add/alter code. For instance, a forum script may not have a certain function that you want, such as being able to upload files. You can apply a mod to the script allowing that ability.

A hacker is a term used for a person who will try to access a PC or Script without authorization.
Even though the preffered description is a Cracker As a hacker is really a person like a Modder who will Hack scripts to add/alter their content.
Old April 13th, 2004, 12:21 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
The Mods here, are here to help answer questions as much as possible, whenever they can, but I must also point out that that isn't their sole job here, since so many great Members are so willing to take part in helping others!!

Other than that, the Mods are here to help make sure that CTH is running smoothly, moving posts that aren't exactly in the right forum, to a more appropriate forum where the question might stand a better chance of getting answered!

As for them being Hackers in their spare time, no way, they have to sleep at some time during any day, however hard it maybe for them to drag themselves from CTH!!

Seriously.......I take it by the way your second post made your first one sound bad, you consider Hacking as a bad thing? Not all the time, and thankfully the ammount of "bad" Hackers are far outweighed by "good" Hackers, it's just that most consider Hacking is a bad thing, when really it isn't!

Here's another way of looking at Hacking, have you ever changed anything in your computers registry? If so, that "could" be classed as Hacking!!
Old April 13th, 2004, 01:25 AM
Rampant Rabbit

Are you drunk Dave??.....just asking
Old April 13th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

Lufbra actually answered it quite well!
Old April 13th, 2004, 03:48 PM

Red face Mods and hackers: Apologies

Aplogies to everyone. I was drunk as a lord last night and broke my cardinal rule: NEVER go to CTH when I have been drinking. This is for three reasons; 1) It's my favourite site 2) I respect the people in here 3) If I ask a question I can barely grasp the answer when sober never mind after a few drinks
The mods and hackers thing was a tongue in cheek question and I think I was just teasingly asking if the mods - who I really do think are the kind, helpful people that are highly qualified and knowledgeable - were also hackers on the side, rather a nudge nudge type of thing and I had no idea that the word hacker was so emotive. I just thought it meant a very clever computer person who liked to solve problems, legal or otherwise.
Which brings me to the wet mackeral bit. Errr, this is from a sketch from Monty Python where they slap each other around the face with wet fish. I really don't know why I find this funny;it's not! And you know what it's like when person has been drinking; they think they are being witty and clever when they are just a pain in the arse!
Anyway, I have an excuse; I know it's a really miserable attempt at excusing myself but it's the only one I can come up with right now:
I have been diagnosed as a celiac - I can't eat wheat, rye etc - and just lately I have been having visions of Pamela Anderson and Angelie Jolie bollock naked with a crate of cold beer between them and a sandwich in their hands and I just want to snatch the sandwiches and throw the girls and beer out of the room so I can sneakily eat the sandwiches. Well wouldn't you drink!!!!
Back to hiding now, I'll pop up when it's safe!
Old April 13th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

Kind of you to post back. As for your cardinal rule, there are some here who never visit CTH unless they've been drinking.
Old April 13th, 2004, 09:20 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipulrich
Lufbra actually answered it quite well!
amazing