Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old January 18th, 2009, 06:45 AM

Need help using system restore disc (moved from Vista Forum)

I need to use the restore disc that came with the computer to restore factory default setting because the computer is not working properly,it freezes up and has other problems,have only been able to run in safe mode so I would just like to start anew with the restore disc.The internal cd drive is malfunctioning it's a Mat****a cd drive in a Toshiba laptop when the restore disc is inserted a message comes up to insert disc and disc is ejected that happens with any and all discs that are inserted in that internal drive,the cd drive has been this way for sometime and the problem happened before the computer was having problems.I have checked if the drivers were up to date and they were,I also checked the device maneger and in the properties of the cd/dvd drive it mentions that the device is working properly but it is'nt. I did get a external cd drive but for some reason I can not use it with the restore disc that came with the computer.If I click on the drive where the external cd drive is I do see the restore disc but if I choose the option of restoring from the disc I get a box to click to restart computer and when I do I get a screen with options if I again choose to restore computer with the disc option the INTERNAL disc drive pops opens with a message to insert disc when I take it out of the external cd drive and place it in the internal cd drive I again get the same message to insert disc and it is ejected. I don't know if this will help but the problems with the internal cd drive happened when I was burning a cd the drive froze up and would not do anything so I tryed to eject cd to see if I could reinsert it to fix the problem and nothing so I restarted the computer,the cd drive has had problems eversinceI have tryed regcure to see if that might fix the problems with the computer freezing and the cd drive but nothing,O/S is windows vista.I would appriciate it if anyone could help with this problem.Thanks

Last edited by kitty34; January 18th, 2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old January 20th, 2009, 09:09 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 11
Hi kitty34 welcome to Cyber Tech Help.

First, if you post again could you please use paragraphs. It's very hard to read one big bundle of words. Thanks.

Have you tried leaving the restore CD in the drive and rebooting the computer?