Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old June 25th, 2003, 12:20 AM

Unhappy harddrives and OS'sss'es

OK, My dilemma. I got a new computer from my parents place of work and was stripping the case for parts. I took the 6gigHD with Win2000 on it and tried to install it into my current setup which is running Win98 on a 40gigHD. I tried to run both HD's on one IDE cable and nothing worked. The only thing I got was a computer that beeped at me over and over and over and over etc.

In my searching I have forund that I need to have one HD set to slave and one to master, done that. I have also found out that MS won't let you have two OS at running at the same time(or am I mistaken?)

My overall goal here is to get rid of Win98 on the 40gigHD and keep the 6gigHD with win2000 on it, having that be my main OS that runs my system. While at the same time keeping both HD's on the same IDE cable so I can use the space from the 6gig and the 40gig

Please, if you can, tell me if it can be done and if so How...
Old June 25th, 2003, 01:00 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hi BIG-booboo,
For starters, do you happen to have an install CD for Windows 2000? Reason I ask is that when you have a Windows operating system installed, and you make a major change to the hardware ( as you have done moving it into a completely different system), Windows doesn't take kindly to that big of a change due to the fact that it has stored information about the hardware environment in which it was installed.
If you have the install CD for Windows 2000, I would recommend doing a format and reinstall of the operating system.......that way it will detect and store information concerning its new "home".

You can have a dual boot setup (i.e., could boot into either WIN98 or WIN2K), but you can't run two operating systems at the same time (you can see that I'm not quite certain what you meant by "at the same time").
Old June 25th, 2003, 01:05 AM

I don't have the OS CD for win2000. I also don't have the CD for the win98 either. Is there anyway to get around having to totally reformat the win2000 so I might keep it as my new OS?
Old June 25th, 2003, 03:21 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Pro
There is no other way around it of which I am aware.

I know of a few people who have tried to make WIN2K work properly when moved to a different system, but both method that were tried were unsuccessful........one method was to run a Repair install of WIN2K (for which you'd need the install CD), the other method was to Remove all devices listed in Device Manager (for which you'd have to be able to boot into WIN2K, allbeit with many errors) and restart.