Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old November 20th, 2008, 10:08 AM

Internet connection loss

Fist of all, hi to everyone in the forums

I'm a new member as you can see, but i've been watching the forums for some time, and now, i have a problem for you that i can't fix from watching any other thread here =\

For some time now, i have been experiencing loss of internet connection over time on my PC. It sometimes dies after hours, sometimes after minutes. I have checked my PC with HijackThis and some other software and found no viruses/trojans/malware, i have also fixed my registry with Uniblue Registry Booster 2.

I have a Telsey router (i think it's a router, i'm not really sure about that hardware - we have a DSL connection, but i set it dial up on my pc) - and im also not sure what model.
I run on MS Windows XP SP2

With the Event viewer, i managed to track down the problem to one of these:
-This happened this morning when i lost connection

DCOM:
Code:
DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is
disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. 
" attempting to start the service wuauserv with arguments "
" in order to run the server:
{E60687F7-01A1-40AA-86AC-DB1CBF673334}

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
-And yesterday there was no DCOM error, only this warning along with some other information and warnings, but those have nothing to do with internet i believe (Plug and Play, and information about me connecting and else)

Dhcp:
Code:
Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the
Network Card with network address 001FD02526A8.  The IP address being
used is 169.254.133.158.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Thanks in advance for any help provided

EDIT:
Looking at all of this again, i'm not sure if it's even a hardware problem after all. I'm sorry if i posted in the wrong thread.

Last edited by greendevil; November 20th, 2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old November 20th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
This looks like a DHCP renewal failure or a loss of connectivity to the modem or internet.
Does internet access come back on its own or do you need to reset the modem or PC?

You might want to try replacing your ethernet cable to start with.
Also, when it fails what do the lights on the modem look like?
Old November 20th, 2008, 08:50 PM

The lights stay the same i believe, i'll keep an eye on them next time. The ethernet cable has to be okay, two cables are plugged in the router, mine and my father's (of course, we don't use the connection at the same time) and we both have the problem.

I have to reset my computer to have the link back. On my father's computer i managed to fix something up when the error appeared on his computer, so an error with svchost pops out, and if you don't close it the connection works fine. If you click OK or exit it, the computer theme 'resets' (Changes back to Win98 style, and then back to xp in a few seconds)
The same thing with the theme happened to me when my computer arrived a week ago.
The problem is I can't remember what i did to my father's computer since I was in a hurry.
And I use my pc a lot more so I won't be really happy with a partial solution to the problem (Ignoring the svchost error or any other error window)

I'll edit this post when i see the lights on the modem.

EDIT:
Yes, the lights were green all the time after the connection died, just like nothing has changed.

Last edited by greendevil; November 20th, 2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old November 21st, 2008, 01:49 PM

Do they keep flashing?

Can you tell us what error comes up on your father's machine? It might help.
What model router/modem do you have? What kind of connections does it have and how many?

When it fails can you try resetting the router? Know what will fix the problem, may narrow it down.

Also, check to see that the power management feature on the network interface is set so that it is not allowed to turn off the NIC to save power.
Old November 21st, 2008, 10:57 PM

No, the lights remain lit.

The error on my father's machine is the generic svchost error. If you need the exact numbers in the error, i'll write them down the next time.
I have a Telsey router, i believe the model was CPA-Ju-10. It has two sockets for DSL over ethernet and one over usb, if i understood the question properly.

I have tried to reset the router after it failed before, and i don't think it made a difference, the connection only worked after i reset my computer. I will do that again after the connection fails, and tell you what happened.

About the power management, i looked it up in control panel, but the 'power options' there don't seem to have anything with the networking, and in the 'network connections' i haven't found something to do with power management, so if you could please give me a few guidelines such as where to find the options.
Thank you for your time so far =)
Old November 22nd, 2008, 03:25 PM

Okay, here's the update.

The light blinks once and then remains lit when the connection dies. Resetting the router does nothing, i still had to reset my pc for it to work.

And there is a new event in the event log

Tcpip:
Code:
TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP
connect attempts.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 11:38 PM

I wouldn't expect that you'd hit that limit unless you were running a server, torrents or were infected. You said you checked your PC with HJT, but you may want to have the folks in the cyber safety forum give it a once over to be sure.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 01:55 AM

Sure, no problem, i'll post a thread there.

Last edited by greendevil; November 23rd, 2008 at 01:59 AM.
Old November 27th, 2008, 09:53 PM

I managed to resolve this problem by changing my router from bridge to router (PPPoE) mode of work.

Thank you for all your help =)