Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old July 27th, 2008, 03:28 AM

New Pieces For Computer

My computer is extremely slow now.

we have had our problems with it but i doubt its that because i've cleaned it and kept it clean ever since. we only have 512mg of ram so i was telling my mom we need to get 2gb, is that really necessary.

next was the hard drive it only holds a maximum of 37 gb of stuff, i offered 250gb, now is this really necessary.

As for my video card (since i play games) is an NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX/MX 400
do i need to get a better card now or should i wait a little longer.

also i think my cpu is outdated its a intel pentium 4 with 1.6 ghz

and last but not least will my ram slots hold the new ram and same for my hard drive

feedback asap please and if anything needs more than what ive posted please tell me.

Last edited by Ipwnedbarney; July 27th, 2008 at 03:34 AM.
Old July 27th, 2008, 03:30 AM

By the way i do not want to ask the store because most of the time they tell half thruths so you buy their products
Old July 27th, 2008, 05:13 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Welcome to CTH

Need to know what motherboard you have, or if off the shelve make and model of the computer before we can help. Also what operating system??
Old July 27th, 2008, 06:47 AM

Well i dont know what mother board i have is there any way i can figure that out? because the computer i have is a dell pentium 4 from year 2000

thats pretty much all i cna tell you and im running windows xp sp3
Old July 27th, 2008, 06:49 AM

Does it have a model number???

You can run THIS program and it should tell you.

EVEREST
Old July 27th, 2008, 06:53 AM

Product Information http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/index.htm
Motherboard Name Intel Pendleton D845PT

this is the information i could pull that i think you want off that program you gave me, btw thank you
Old July 27th, 2008, 06:57 AM

here is the link to the info

http://www.intel.com/support/motherb...esktop/d845pt/
Old July 27th, 2008, 07:14 AM

add me to msn if you have it so it makes this easier if you want

joe_frappier@hotmail.com
Old July 27th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Senior T-Dog

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
You can also look at front panel power switch it should have model number around it, sample: "dimension 2350" or locate the Service Tag 7 digit number on the back of the computer.

ps. should remove your email address, due to spam harvesters
Old July 27th, 2008, 02:24 PM

I'm afraid your MBoard is pretty old so a good graphics card is almost out of the question. 4X AGP port won't get you a very good card, so you'd really need to get a new MBoard or computer for that. A list of PCI graphics cards (which would be compatible withy your computer) from newegg can be found here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...09642&name=PCI

RAM: your board says it can support 2GB. However, the board only supports DDR RAM 184pin, which can now be fairly expensive due to rarity. Try to get RAM of similar rating to your old RAM. Try running a RAM detector program like this to detect what type you need:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/index.aspx

Hard drive should be easily upgradable, your board supports IDE only, so be sure to get an IDE hard drive.

If you want a new CPU be very careful about compatability, your CPU socket is socket 478, make sure you get a socket 478 CPU.

To be honest though, the best option is to buy a new computer, these upgrades will probably be about the same price as one, or at least you will get far more value and improvement for the same price.

Personally I would go with an online retailer or a REPUTABLE eBay seller for a new computer, as makers like Dell are vast corperations so have no time for the needs of the individual consumer (and are too expensive). For £250 (+ about £70 for an OEM XP OS) I got my build (see sig), which is powerful enough to run Call of Duty 4 and Assassin's Creed on max settings with the right software and tweaking (no overclocking).

For anyone else looking at this topic, a link to a labelled pic of the MBoard can be found at:

http://images.tigerdirect.com/itemde...I69-2000-2.jpg

Last edited by michael123; July 27th, 2008 at 02:32 PM.
Old July 27th, 2008, 09:05 PM

well thank you for all this information, my mom just dosent want a new computer... so ill try to convince her to get me one, if not then i might just upgrade the ram to see how that goes.

thanks a lot i really appreciate it
Old July 27th, 2008, 09:15 PM

If anyone is still looking at this post, my moms laptop isnt starting up and its giving her this weird beep sound, so if you could please help on that subject it would be appreciated
Old July 27th, 2008, 10:19 PM

1. Memory that board support the following memory:

PC2700 DDR SDRAM Unbuffered, non-ECC 2GB (1GB per slot) will also support PC3200. This memory is available in abundance and relatively cheap.

If you have 1 512GB memory stick in then you could add 1 more for a total of 1GB memory, if you have 2-256MB sticks in then you could replace one of them with a 512MB stick for a total of 768MB. That board does not support DDR so you can mixmatch the sticks.

2. Video, as said AGP4x, and there are still good AGP 4x video cards out there. I beleive your current card has 64 mb memory.

256MB Memory
512MB Memory