Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old February 15th, 2008, 09:52 AM

Ack! Assistance would be great!

Well anywho, heres what goes:
I torrented a folder containing a bunch of rar files. After attempting to burn the .ISO onto a disk, and one of the rar files being corrupt, I ended up tossing the disk (Not RW), and tried to delete the folder. Here is where it gets interesting. After attempting to delete the folder, the computer deleted all of the .rar files except for one. That one went from whatever its original size was, to 0kb. Thats it. Folder, containing the single rar file.
The folder, containing the 0kb .rar file is preventing the folder from being deleted. I can delete the file, then try to delete the folder, folder cannot delete, 0kb file comes back. I thought that perhaps I could win if I took the .rar file out of the folder, dropped it, then the folder itself in the recycle bin and try to erase it that way. Well, it removed it all, but then the recycle bin icon displays that there is crap in the recycle bin itself, yet, when opened nothing is displayed. When I tried to 'Empty the trash' again, it would prompt: Are you sure you want to delete 'WINDOWS'?
In a very tired state of confusion, I pressed yes. Probably a bad move.

This is the thing that confuses me.. why is it doing this, and what can I do to fix it. I am not sure if it has anything to do with anything, but the computer that I am on is an ACER, which lets you know when caps lock has been turned on. Well, since I have 'Are you sure you want to delete 'WINDOWS'? - Yes', (again, probably a bad move), I haven't been getting the 'You have toggled Caps lock' prompt. Should I be worried? I am thinking .. actually I am not. Need sleep.

Any suggestions/comments/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old February 15th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Hi and welcome.
Question:
Quote:
why is it doing this, and what can I do to fix it.
Answer:
Quote:
I torrented a folder containing a bunch of rar files.
Welcome to the easiest distribution method of malicious code. Some would say "serves you right, next time, buy it".

Can you confirm the current situation:
1) Windows still works (you haven't actually deleted your Windows folder?)
2) System still boots.
3) There is a folder containing a 0 sized file that you cannot delete.

What is the name of the folder and of the file. This will dictate the method required to remove it.
Old February 15th, 2008, 11:14 PM

Well, I powered off my computer last night after I went to bed.. so... Well, it started fine. Appears that Windows hasn't yet been destroyed.

I wish to apologize to noone, and to everyone. Learned my lesson about torrenting something. I was under some misconception that this kind of ordeal only took place using a program like kazaa, or limewire and the likes. I would normally buy something, but since I began college, I have been running on a severely restricted budget.

So answer number to question number one, and two:

Yes, the system boots, and no, I have not deleted the windows folder.

And the answer to question number three:

No, there is no more folder containing any file. Somehow, the recycle bin got rid of them, but the problem that has risen is that the recycle bin now contains 'nothing', appears to contain something, and prompts 'Are you sure you want to delete 'WINDOWS'?' when I try to empty 'nothing'.

Ideas? I have none. Will this be an issue, or may there be some underlying problem I haven't discovered yet by decompressing that file? Quite possibly.
Not a clue as to what to do, or where to go. One of the reasons I came here.

Unrelated issue of the caps lock toggle not working seems to have been, well, unrelated. Works now.

Thanks by the way, for the reply. =)