Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:11 AM

Making an 80G Hard-drive run on a P1?

I’ve got an old P1-200 running Win98 sitting around that I wanted to upgrade with a stronger/larger hard-drive, so I went out and bought and 80G drive. However, the old machine can not detect the large drive and doesn’t get past the bios part of the startup sequence. (At least, I’m pretty sure that’s the bios part.)

I’ve heard that if I partition the drive into smaller pieces then the bios will be able to detect the drive and all will be well. Unfortunately, I’m not exactly sure how to do that, although I do have ‘some’ experience running a partition program called: Gnome Partition Editor.

I’ve been told that if I halve the drive into two partitions of about 40G each then it will run.

My queries in summary are as follows:
1) Can the P1 running Win98SE run the larger hard-drive after it’s been partitioned?
2) How do I partition it, preferably using Gnome Partition Editor.
3) Is there anything else I should know?
Old August 27th, 2007, 11:01 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Quote:
1) Can the P1 running Win98SE run the larger hard-drive after it’s been partitioned?
Possibly. It's probable that it won't, given that it's the BIOS which has problems.
Quote:
2) How do I partition it, preferably using Gnome Partition Editor.
If you've used it before then you know how easy it is to use. Simply select the drive and make two 40GB partitions. Don't bother counting the Megabytes, just use half of what it says is its total capacity.
Quote:
3) Is there anything else I should know?
You will need to use the FAT32 file system. Also, you will obviously need to partition it on another PC since GParted won't boot until after the BIOS has loaded (and failed).
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:23 AM

1)
From what I've been seeing, I think your right.

2)
Thanks for the information.

3A)
Thank you for reminding me about the FAT32 system. I probably would have forgotten to flag it when I was partitioning.

3B)
Ack! I hadn't realized I need to partition it off a different PC. No problem, I do have one I can plug it into though. Thanks for pointing that out.

Thanks for the help Oracle128. Since it looks like it's the BIOS, I'll pursue other solutions.