Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:37 AM

Write But Not Read

Please help me!

I plan to re-format my laptop becuase of some blasted spyware (or virus, for all I know) that I can't remove.

Before re-formatting, I tried backing-up my files by burning them into blank dvds. I have done this procedure a lot of times already and it has never failed until now.

My problem is this: I have already tried three dvd-burning programs (ROXIO 9, Nero, and Alcohol 120%) all of which "successfully" burn my data onto the blank dvds. However, whenever I try to "verify disc after burning" or simply insert my newly-burned dvds, my laptop can't read them and displays the usual "cannot read from device...disk may be corrupted...something, something."

This is the first time it ever happened. Is this software or hardware problem? I even tried installing Alcohol not in the usual destination.

Please help me!

Very desperate!

Email me please for probable solutions at pantocracy@yahoo.com.

Thanks in advance!
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:03 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
what happens if you insert an old dvd or cd that you know it used to read,not one of the new ones you just burnt?
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:29 AM

What speed do you choose for burning? Try to choose the slowest. Are all the dvds was made by the similar producer? Then try dvd from another producer.
Old August 16th, 2007, 01:13 PM

It reads old dvds that it burnt.
Old August 16th, 2007, 01:14 PM

Speed? the fastest. I doubt if it has something to do with the brand. Already tried 3 different brands.
Old August 16th, 2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Speed? the fastest.
Choose the slowest or medium. I have collided with such problem and the changing of speed was the only way to write readable cd/dvd
Old August 16th, 2007, 02:31 PM

I uninstalled all programs then the ominous blue screen flashed (physical memory dump). Now I can't enter XP normally. I am using safe mode, rolled back drivers, re-installed nero and am now attempting to burn again. Still the fastest speed. haven't tried burning cds yet.