Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:29 AM

PVR Hard Drive

Hmm.. I wonder if theres an adapter that would make it so, I could attach the PVR Hard Drive as a second PC Hard Drive. It would make it easier to transfer the recordings. Although I know it has to do with copyright. But, the thing is the PVR Hard Drive is getting full. Someday I'll build my own adapter if theres no such thing.
Old July 6th, 2007, 10:58 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
In truth, most PVR hard drives I've seen use regular PC interfaces. Mostly, IDE, I've not seen any SCSI or SATA ones, but you never know. So, an adapter wouldn't really be necessary (unless your particular model uses a different connection). More problematic though, is that PVRs use all sorts of different file systems, ranging from FAT to ext3, or some unwieldy proprietary format.
Old July 6th, 2007, 11:00 PM

Oh yeah, the name of the PVR Hard Drive is Maxtor and the PVR is a Motorola. CLICK HERE

Last edited by DJoe; July 6th, 2007 at 11:08 PM.
Old July 7th, 2007, 04:24 AM

Maxtor - a common PC hard drive manufacturer. As I suspect, it's most likely an ordinary desktop hard drive, with an IDE interface, but of course you will need to take the drive out of the unit and see for yourself (this may or may not void your warranty).

The file system a PVR uses are rarely published anywhere, but my sources tell me it may be NFS. Your best bet may be to use a Linux with lots of file system readers in it, plug in the drive, and hope Linux can figure out which one it is.
Old July 7th, 2007, 04:35 AM

I couln't quite read the labels on the back of the PVR,
but it looks like there is a USB port on the back.
Old July 7th, 2007, 06:48 AM

The system has been unscrewed for a few weeks, so I can just slide the cover off. The connections are different, thats why I was asking about an adapter. If you compare PC with PVR hard drives the connection is different. It also says QuickView on the HDD.

However there is a SATA, which I think is for External Hard Drive. Although I like that internals are out of the way.

Google doesn't quite know what they are.

But, whats great is that Maxtor owned by Seagate has LiveChat support or Toll Free Number.

Last edited by DJoe; July 7th, 2007 at 06:55 AM.