Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old June 16th, 2007, 01:35 PM

Corrupted Visual Basic Project

Just a few moments ago there was a small power outage for only a few seconds, but that was more than enough time for my comp to complete shut down.
Prior to that i was tweaking a VB project i've been working on for ages, most of which is was done in the past 3-4 days. After the PC rebooted i find out the painful fact that the project i was working on a few moments ago with thousands of lines of code i wrote almost night and day over the past half week is all gone.
To top things off, as luck would have it, opening the corrupted files in a hex editor shows it's filled full of delightful little zeros.
Since the project had other components and forms it ended up only corrupting my largest form(only?) and the main vbp project(which i should be able to get from a previous version's backup)[still have a fairly recent compiled exe aswell]. The form that was lost has no backups since i pretty much just completed it and was doing some minor tweaks before making a backup.
ATM i'm doing a scan with recovery my files but just the shear number of files it's found is giving me a headache. VB RezQ didn't help one bit so if anyone has suggestions on what what else i can do be sure to tell me.

Last edited by LocrEpinS; June 16th, 2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old June 16th, 2007, 02:56 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
if u have the exe u should try a program called numega smartcheck but it is really diffucult to find
Old June 16th, 2007, 03:33 PM

Thx for the reply. I just finished installing it and from the looks of things it seems similar to a debugging program.
Just off the top it doesn't look like i'll have my source anytime soon ><. I think i'll scrap trying to re-engineer my executable this time.
Lets just pray that my latest compiled version doesn't have any bugs.

Would anyone happen to know if vb keeps temporary data on the last projects you were working on?
Or if there are applications which can recover previous versions of files?(i knew i should've installed that file version tracker application w/e it was called)
I'm actually having pretty good luck with disk investigator's text search function, but does anyone know one which can search hdds for a certain string and save every cluster where that string is present in hex/text format to a file?

Last edited by LocrEpinS; June 16th, 2007 at 04:12 PM.