Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old June 2nd, 2007, 08:53 PM

My computer has completely stopped responding.

Hey guys,

My computer is becoming extremely sluggish and slow, and parts of the interface don't respond at all at times. It has only just happened after I installed CS3 on my computer, although now I have uninstalled this and it appears to have had absolutely no effect whatsoever.

As an example of the freezing, sometimes the taskbar is visible but does not respond, but the program that I am focused on before it freezes still works fine - although maybe a little slower than normal, or maybe that's just me.

Only a week or so ago I sent my computer in for a health check at a PC place near me which is seriously good, and all they could find wrong with it was that the fan in my GFX card was seizing and causing crashes. Since then I have reinstalled Windows XP, and also installed a new ATI Radeon 9500 and drivers.

Other than that, I can't think of anything other than CS3 that may be doing this. The only programs I have installed recently are CS3 (including Bridge etc), and MagicISO.

I've looked in the registry for anything suspicious booting up at startup, but nothing appears suspicious - I know what everything is, and they all appear to be completely legitimate programs.

I'm considering re-installing Windows a bit later tonight unless someone comes up with an answer.

Whilst I'm here, this is nearly as important as the above, does anyone know how to change the default Program Files directory? Thanks.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 12:24 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
tell a little about your computer, cpu, ram, harddrive size/free space. Video card also.

maybe try a little cleanup first by running ccleaner from ccleaner.com

you can also try doing a system restore restore to a previously saved restore point.