Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > The Anything Else Board

Notices

The Anything Else Board This board has been designed for all those subjects that don't quite fit in any of the other categories, and is also a place to share ideas and knowledge that you think might prove valuable to our other visitors

Topic Tools
Old October 7th, 2006, 08:57 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Question Windows won't load

I was given a pc by a friend when he got a new one. Someone formatted his and loaded XP professional on it. When he got it back, it never would completely load, so he bought a new one and gave it to me. It is a Gigabyte mb, GA 6VTX, for slot 370, 133 bus speed. When you turn it on, you get the screen that asks you to boot either normal, safe mode, safe with command, etc. When you pick normal or last working config, it brings up the Win XP Pro, but the blue bar never starts going. You can get into the bios setup and do things in there, but I can't get windows to load. I tried with safe mode and safe mode w/ command prompt. It starts to scroll a bunch of command paths, then just locks up. I did get XP to load twice, don't know how, but then it just locked up. I can't even get anywhere to format again. I am wondering if the HDD could be corrupted. I am thinking of putting the HDD from my pc in it to see if it will work then. Believe it or not, this pc is actually better (faster processor, bus speed, etc) than my pc, that's why I accepted it. Mine is an Asus P2B board machine. I know, dinosaur. I have upgraded things and it still works pretty well, but it's getting tired. I thought I'd try this one if you think it's safe to put my HDD in the other machine. I wasn't sure where to put this post since I don't know if it's a corrupted windows, HDD, or something else. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Lou
Old October 7th, 2006, 02:50 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Howdy welcome to CTH,
If you can get into the system BIOS try to set it to boot from the cd-rom first. After that pop in a Windows XP install cd. Boot the computer with the cd in and let it boot up. It will go past a few screens just like you are going to do an install but instead of doing an install pick the option for "Repair Console". The Repair Console will load and ask what install of Windows you waqnt to work with. If there is only one install on that hard drive then you should just be able to press the number 1 and hit enter. Then it will ask you for the Admin password. As long as no password was set you can just press enter. If an admin pass was set then you would need to enter it and hit enter. Once in issue this command chkdsk /R that will run a check disk on the hard drive. With any luck it will find and fix any errors on the drive. If it doesn't fix them at least it would give you a heads up on if the disk is in bad shape or not. This is just a side note and my own personal way of thinking but when I am ever given a system I always just blow away what is there and do a nice clean install. That way you can say from the time you got it you know whats on it.
Old October 7th, 2006, 10:06 PM

Thank you. I don't have an XP pro disk, just the home version. I loaded it, went through the install stuff and I'm formating the drive and going from there. We'll see if it picks up any problems. I'll let you know how things go. Can I run the command chdsk /R from the command promp after I load this version of windows? Thanks again, Lou
Old October 10th, 2006, 04:49 PM
CTH Subscriber

Yes you can run that command from a command promt. It will however tell you that the drive is in use and if you would like to do the chkdsk /R upon reboot just say yes. Then when the computer reboots it will start its chkdsk run.
Old October 10th, 2006, 05:06 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLMc View Post
Can I run the command chdsk /R from the command promp after I load this version of windows? Thanks again, Lou
if the version of xp you have did not come with another computer or not being used on another computer then yes.
Old October 16th, 2006, 07:07 AM

I tried using another hard drive in the comuter and it didn't work. I noticed that the longer I tried to get something to work, the sooner it would lock up. I think it was in the mother board, so I just gave up. I took some ram out of it and switched my 64 MB for a 128 that was in it. I also took out my original 4G hard drive and replaced it with the 20G that was in the one I was messing with. I had already bought a 20G and WinXP and put it in my machine. Now I have two internal 20G's and an external 160. I appreciate all your help, but the " upgrade" wasn't worth a whole lot of my time. I used what I could from it and set it out at the curb. I love this site and all the help I get here. I have learned a lot because of this site. What a great group of people, thank you very much. I did just post a new thread in the winxp area about my son's Acer notebook. THANK YOU !! Lou