Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:35 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Intermittent Connection Failures

Using putty to SSH into school host machines, I periodically (frequently) get moments where my keystrokes do not echo to the screen for several seconds to a minute. If I keep typing, I get disconnected ("Software caused connection abort" or something similar). If I stop typing and leave the window alone for a minute, I usually stay connected and can continue working.

Likewise, while web surfing, I periodically have to refresh a page because it doesn't load.

I get logged out of IM services several times a day.

On IRC, I also lose my connection several times a day with "* [10053] Software caused connection abort"

Within minutes, the problem is gone. I'm able to reconnect without a problem 99% of the time.

I'm on Comcast cable, behind a Linksys WRT54G router (removing it doesn't fix the problem). My computer is hooked up via Ethernet cable, and my wife's laptop (she has similar connection issues - pages needing refreshing is what she has complained about) is on wireless.

We're both running Windows XP, SP2.

In addition to my Linksys WRT54G router, I run the Kerio Personal Firewall on my computer. I also use AVG Antivirus, Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware, and the Microsoft tool (Windows Defender seems to be the name these days). None of these tools show any problems with my system. I run as a limited user except when installing software. HijackThis does not report anything worrisome.

================================================

I've managed to attempt a tracert during one of these episodes; I get an error message that suggests I can't even contact a DNS server.

I've tried powercycling the cable modem and the router, but this hasn't helped. As stated above, connecting my computer directly to the cable modem does not completely eliminate the problem (subjectively, it seemed to be better for a while, but I still lost my connections after a while).

I've also tried killing all user processes except for putty and scrolling through files on the server. Again, subjectively, it seemed better, but the problem did not disappear entirely.

At this point, I'm at a loss as to what else to try. Does anyone here have any ideas?
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:36 AM

OK something is not working right.
Here is the Link to a Faqs page.
For some reason I cant post the portion that are relevant to your problem.
Look at sections 7.20 and 7.23
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:38 AM

Some people who ask PuTTY to listen on localhost addresses other than 127.0.0.1 to forward services such as SMB and Windows Terminal Services have found that doing so no longer works since they upgraded to WinXP SP2.

This is apparently an issue with SP2 that is acknowledged by Microsoft in MS Knowledge Base article 884020. The article links to a fix you can download.

(However, we've been told that SP2 also fixes the bug that means you need to use non-127.0.0.1 addresses to forward Terminal Services in the first place.)
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:44 AM

OK for one reason or the other I cannont get 7.23 to post, so you are gonna have to find it on your own.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:11 PM

Hmm...I'm not trying to listen to addresses other than 127.0.0.1, so that can't be the problem. It's in the scope of normal use that I have problems.

In the FAQ you linked, section 7.11 was interesting. I've tried the steps there (increasing my TCP timeout), and I'll keep my fingers crossed that this will help.

Thanks for the link.
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:45 AM

Well, so much for that idea. I'm still having the same problems.

I'm going to repost this in the software forum since removing the router from the equation doesn't seem to help.

Last edited by Elephantium; May 4th, 2006 at 06:53 AM.