Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012

Notices

Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012 Problem solving for the NT, Windows 2000, 2003, 2008 and 2012 Operating Systems

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old September 15th, 2003, 06:14 PM

Smile RE: How to change the size of the virtual memory paging file|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker
Using MSCONFIG to Change the Programs Starting Automatically.

How to change the size of the virtual memory paging file

1) Open System in Control Panel.

2) On the Advanced tab, click Performance Options, and under Virtual memory, click Change.

3) In the Drive list, click the drive that contains the paging fileyou want to change.

4) Under Paging file size for selected drive, type a new paging file size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, and then click Set.

*If you decrease the size of either the minimum or maximum page file settings, you must restart your computer to see the effects of those changes. Increases typically do not require a restart.
Good suggestion above. Let me add that if you set the minimum and maximum page-file-size to the same value then the page file does not get defragmented and the system works faster when it uses the page file. If it is already fragmented, set it to both sizes to zero, reboot and then set it to the size your system needs and reboot again. I'm not sure how to determine that optimum size.
Old November 13th, 2003, 06:33 AM

Here's the site I like to browse in. It has lot's of nice tweaks and solutions.
Old November 26th, 2003, 02:22 AM

Well , I have a problem in which i want u guys to help me . When i start my windows , after the messege " WINDOWS IS STARTING " , It gives me the messege , " PREPARING UR NETWORK CONNECTIONS " and it takes almost 15 seconds at that stupid thing . Can any one tell me how to skip it .
Old April 13th, 2004, 03:22 AM

Hello Everyone.

I am new to these boards and have read many topics.

I have a Windows 2000 Tip, not realy a tweak.

Make sure you have the correct drivers for your hardware.

I recently bought a E-Machines PC pre-loaded with WindowsXP Professional. I decided I didn't like WindowsXP Professional, so I purchased Windows2000 Professional. I was shocked to see that my screen was reduced to 400*600 resolution after the install. I quickly used the restore disks from E-Machines to copy the NT Drivers and install them.

This may sound pretty obvious, but I you would be surprised how many peoples computers I have fixed at 45.00 a hour and all I had to do was find correct drivers.
Old May 14th, 2004, 05:31 AM

Moving My Documents Folder

May find this usefull if, like me, you had poorly partitioned a small drive, and where (still am) struggling for space on the system partition.

How to move the My Documents Folders and all the hidden folders contained therein.....
http://www.dennislazo.com/cgi-bin/wa...ex.pl?case=win

Last edited by HippyWarlock; May 14th, 2004 at 05:32 AM. Reason: typographical errors
Old July 28th, 2004, 12:50 PM

Not Able To Connect Printer

hi
this is malli here, I got a doubt in connecting printer,
in our network we got two domains, one domain user wanted to access printer from other domain, the system where the printer connected is windows XP, the users who wanted to access printer were 98 and XP,
kindly can you please give me some imp tips for my problem
Old February 7th, 2005, 09:13 AM

Exclamation Free Windows 2000 Guide

Optimize Windows 2000 - A Windows 2000 Optimization Guide

"Clean Spyware and Viruses + Optimize Windows 2000 to improve both work and gaming performance safely. Windows 2000's default configuration is far from optimized. This guide will help you improve your overall system performance."

These are some of the best Technical Forums on the Internet, please direct all technical / support related questions here.
Old February 12th, 2005, 12:15 PM

Thanx!

Although this is an old thread, I couldn't remember the file extension for the Adobe/Norton "conflict" that causes lag time in Adobe applications.

"*.lst"

Ahhh, thanks a ton!
Dainis
Old October 21st, 2005, 06:04 PM

Hi I just start my studies in pc repair so I am still a student to a lot of stuff. I don't have any working experience from windows 2000, but what I have is a problem. I installed windows 2000 pro on a compaq 5000 pc but I am unable to use the operating system. That is to say when I power on the pc A screen showing windows pro comes up but after that a blank white screen appears. The only how I can get it to work is by enabling the visual mode after pressing f8. But if I shut the screen down and start again I get the same result as before
Old October 26th, 2005, 02:54 AM

Welcome to CTH

I hope your stay is a pleasant one!!!!

God bless
Old August 5th, 2006, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastertech
Optimize Windows 2000 - A Windows 2000 Optimization Guide

"Clean Spyware and Viruses + Optimize Windows 2000 to improve both work and gaming performance safely. Windows 2000's default configuration is far from optimized. This guide will help you improve your overall system performance."

These are some of the best Technical Forums on the Internet, please direct all technical / support related questions here.
Link is dead. Can someone reup the link, please? Thanks
Old August 10th, 2006, 02:41 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Great Idea

I change the title of the thread to hopefully bring more folks in. Hope you don't mind.

Here are some:

Services

Usually by default many Windows services start that are not needed for a home user. Telling Windows not to load some of these can speed your machine up considerably. The list below describes some. It's recommended that you set them to "manual" and not "disabled". A manual setting will usually still allow the service to start if the system requires it.

Remember that each PC is different and some situations will require these services and some will not! Use discretion when playing around with them and make sure you have backups, as (like playing with the registry) a wrong move can render your machine unusable!

Here is an excellent site for tweaking Services

sorry, but where do i navigate to get to services? and/or how i do access the equivalent of msconfig on xp for win2k pro?

thank you,
ourmanritter

sorry, i should've read a little further...

Last edited by ourmanritter; August 10th, 2006 at 02:55 AM. Reason: answered my own question
Closed Topic