Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old September 27th, 2017, 03:44 PM

Desktop Icons Keep Moving

Got a replacement work laptop with 10 Enterprise. I have a docking station with two monitors. So when I have it connected, my laptop is in the middle and I have three screens total expanding the desktop. Things were fine on my old laptop with W7. My icons were always on the laptop (middle screen). Now with this W10, not only do I have a Start Menu on all three screens, but every time I redock, my icons are shifted all over the three screens. They do not stay on the main screen, the laptop. Then i have to resort back on the laptop screen. And when I do take the laptop off the dock, my icons are a mess on it as well, scattered on the single screen. I resort. When i plug back into the dock, all over the monitors again. My icons never stay on the one screen anymore.
Any thoughts onto a fix?
Thanks.
Old September 27th, 2017, 10:32 PM

Hmmm is the new laptop setup for dual monitors??

Only thing I can think is its getting confused as to which monitor they should be on.....
Old September 28th, 2017, 02:52 PM

Laptop in its dock has two external monitors, giving me three screens total. Laptop/dock sits in the middle as I make my laptop screen the main screen of the three.
Old September 28th, 2017, 04:45 PM

This is an extremely frustrating problem that has plagued some multimonitor Windows users for years long before W10. It mostly affects users with different size monitors that use different resolutions. But it also affects others with identical monitors (like me ). The fact it only affects some multimonitor users, and only some of the time is what has made it impossible for Microsoft (or anyone else) to fix once and for all.

First, the obvious. Right click a bare spot on the desktop and select View and ensure Auto arrange icons is unchecked. That often fixes it. Arrange your icons the way you like them and be good to go.

If it does not fix it, this is what seems to work for me when all the icons on my secondary monitor move to the primary monitor after a reboot or when waking from sleep.
Right click on a bare spot on the desktop and select View and ensure Auto arrange icons is unchecked.
Then uncheck Align to grid, then Refresh.
Then check Align to grid again and Refresh.
No promises but that works for me.

In the meantime, checkout DesktopOK. This is a neat little program that lets you save your desktop icons positions. Then, if they get scrambled again, a simple click restores them all. It is not perfect but it is much easier than having to move them all back one at a time.
Old September 28th, 2017, 10:17 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Agree with Digerati.

I have a similar issue with Win8.1 pro on my work laptop.
I have a USB dock in my home office connected to 2 mismatched screens and a different brand USB dock in the office connected to 2 identical screens.

Windows remembers the layouts OK and icons stay in place, only if "Auto arrange icons" is off, but they will still move around if I change "primary" screen to one of the docked LCD panels instead of the laptop built-in screen (because the resolutions are different and they won't fit).
Old September 29th, 2017, 01:47 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Ultramon, I have used it for years with multiple displays, never have a problem. I'm sure there may be some free ones out there.
Old September 29th, 2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Ultramon, I have used it for years with multiple displays, never have a problem. I'm sure there may be some free ones out there.
FTR, I too have been using Ultramon for many years with no problems. But even Ultramon did not help me when this problem started recently.
Old October 6th, 2017, 05:56 PM

Well, doing things within Windows has not help, but the DesktopOK program (I actually use this companies QucikPaste already) seems to be better than dealing with the icons moving all over. Has to be a Windows 10 thing because for three years, all okay with Windows 7 and three screens of different sizes and models.
So far so good.
Thanks, all.
Old October 6th, 2017, 06:18 PM

The problem has been around for years across all versions of Windows so definitely not limited or new to W10.
Old November 29th, 2020, 10:22 AM

No not at all,it happens every so often on my computer! (Win98se)

I close my browser and the icons are moved!! -- I dont get it,I HAVE LOCK ENABLED so how or what is making them move?? (Sometimes some of my folders are messed up also (stuff moved))

And a few weeks ago I had a strange thing happen.... I closed my browser and the screen was black! -- I looked into it and "Internet explorer wallpaper.bmp" was being used for my wallpaper.... I just restored the reg from a day earlier and then deleted that file.........

Very strange -- Windows is,isnt she??