Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old January 28th, 2021, 01:20 AM

screen goes black on startup

screen goes black on startup right after very breifly showing AMD Startup screen. PC is ten years old, was making sounds for few months on startup and quit coming on yesterday, I had new power fan with harness and hooked all up and now it comes on, bleeps, etc, shows amd screen for few seconds then all is black, any one had this problem? Maybe just getting old like me, ha ha. If it matters XP is my operating system. THanks if anyone had the time to answer. Stay safe.

Last edited by hobart; January 28th, 2021 at 01:26 AM.
Old January 28th, 2021, 09:05 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Make sure all the connections are firm. Does the power supply fan come on? Then does it shut off. There maybe a 4 pin connector you forgot to hook up, depending on the motherboard, usually near the processor somewhere.

Will look something like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4pin.jpg (8.1 KB, 2 views)
Old January 29th, 2021, 05:41 PM

Thanks, now have "missing operation system"

Thank you so much for taking the time to help. Everything is plugged in, I had changed
the power supply fan few years back. Went it quit last week I put in another one I
had (they were so cheap I had purchased two way back) and it did not help.
After reading some old comments on XP I downloaded Restoro to a usb and plugged this
in to a slot, then started PC holding F2 down. It shows AMD screen for one second like
before but now I get this error message on a black screen "Missing Operation Systems".
Most help sites tell me this is a death message.
Again thanks so much for your help, really nice people out there are willing to take
the time to share their knowledge. WIll be sure to donate to this site. HT
Old January 29th, 2021, 05:55 PM

Murf,
Again thanks for helping.
Would you have time to recommend a new pc for me to buy, or what I need new to fix this 12 year old one?

I am in early 70s, do not play videos games, only use PC to check mail, read newspaper, and watch videos on how to fix different things. I do like to look on ebay, etc.

I am retired now and do not use it for work, as a former programmer and later a physical power supply designer I use to need all the storage space, etc., now I just download hundreds of pictures and old videos.

Am trying to learn how to copy old home videos ( made in 80s) to pc and then edit and put on new videos I can send in emails, etc.

I see some deskstops like I have now for 200-300 dollars.
thanks again, please stay safe and have a great day. HT
Old January 30th, 2021, 12:57 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Funny that you should mention Restoro, because a post by Jonboy also mentions Restoro which I have read is not recommended by Microsoft.
It sounds to me like your hard drive may have died. That computer is very old so it may not be worth it to buy a new hard drive to install XP on it. It’s also no longer supported by Microsoft so you are not getting updates that could keep you protected.
I doubt you will find a decent enough computer to edit videos on for $200-300.
Old January 30th, 2021, 03:40 AM

IPR512,
Thanks for reply and valuable input, will look for good pc with your info.
I agree, hard drive is dead, from all I have read and tried.
Again, thanks, nice to have a place to go like this for info.
All, stay safe in this covid time.
If anyone know the best pc for my needs as stated before, please pass on model etc.

Hopefully I won't be back on site for time(will check to see if anyone else has any feedback), wish I had the knowledge to help people, now maybe if you all were needing info on deer hunting or frog gigging, ha ha. Or building physical power supply modules as I used to do.

Keep on enjoying those stars, they really show up in this Texas sky, and once in Alaska on hunting trip-----the northern lights and all the stars will never leave my mind. Think how great the Creator must be !
HT
Old January 30th, 2021, 10:06 AM

Hobart
You're very welcome.
Let us know what you think you can afford to spend for a computer, and whether you want a laptop or a desktop. We've got some good people here that I'm sure will try to help you decide.
Old January 30th, 2021, 04:32 PM

IPR512,
My broken one was $700 (12 yrs ago), which was loaded for my design work with memory, etc, desktop.
All I need now is good OS, T storage, I have screen, etc, but if all in pkg that is ok.
I saw rebuilt Dell on Amazon with lot of extras, for under $400, but again I am far from expert on anything to do with pcs.

If you just know of pkg deal that would suit that would be nice.
I have been looking sams, Walmart, dell, amd, amazon, etc, no rush, I have this small laptop that does most of what I want if I use usb with large storage.
I just like desktop better, old fashion me, ha ha.
thanks again , for all the help, pray you all stay away from covid. Thank God we have a daughter that lives close by and brings us what we need, etc
We do get out to mow yard, etc, and talk to neighbors at a distance.
take care, HT
Old January 30th, 2021, 04:33 PM

I saw your site was Tampa, are you big football fanm go Brady and team.
Old January 31st, 2021, 12:20 AM

You might want to look at some Dells with at least 16 GB of memory, a dedicated video card, and a SSD hard drive.
Old January 31st, 2021, 04:58 AM

Thanks so much, will do.

Thanks so much, will do.
Have a great day, and year.
HT
Old January 31st, 2021, 05:16 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
If you need help in choosing a PC, Microsoft has a web page that asks you what kind of hardware etc, that you want, once selected, the web page gives out a list of PC's to suit your needs. below is the link, and I have also added another link which does pretty much the same thing....

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help-me-choose

http://www.selectsmart.com/desktop/
Old January 31st, 2021, 05:22 PM

Not into football Hobart. I'm originally from New York City so I'm a huge NY Yankees fan.
Old February 1st, 2021, 02:19 AM

Thanks to both and will check out sites...HT

LUFBRA,
Thanks have made both favorites and will use both tomorrow.

IPR512,
I always love the Yankees, started listen on radio to them and the Reds in late fifties. I have old books that tells their history on becoming team and on all the early players with tons of pictures, etc. Very interesting.

You all stay safe and pray 2021 is great year for you both.
HT
Old February 2nd, 2021, 10:55 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hobart, you are a spring chicken lol I am 75. Anyways, as IPR512 said XP is no longer supported and no security vulnerability patches out, so I would not reinstall it.

Was making a sound, as said could of been the hard drive going bad.
"Missing Operation Systems".

Most help sites tell me this is a death message., well it must be booting from the USB and of course no operating system on the USB, thus the error message.

You may want to try and do a repair install of XP, won't lose any files.

Do you by chance have the XP DVD/CD if so boot from it:

Reboot the computer and enter the BIOS. With the disc inserted, restart your computer. As the computer boots up, press the Setup key to enter your BIOS. The key varies from system to system, and will be displayed beneath the manufacturer's logo. Common keys include: F2, F10, F12, and Delete.

If Windows begins to load, the Setup key was not pressed in time and you will have to retry.

Change your boot order. Once you've entered the BIOS, navigate to the BOOT menu. It may be labeled slightly differently depending on your specific BIOS. You will need to change the boot order so that your CD/DVD drive is the first boot device, followed by your hard drive.

Normally, the hard drive is the primary boot device. This means that the system attempts to boot from the hard disk first, loading your installed copy of Windows. You want to change it so that it attempts to boot from your Windows disc before trying the hard drive.
Once you've changed your boot order, save your changes and restart your computer.

Start the installation. After you computer reboots again, you will see the message Press any key to boot from CD.... Press any key on you keyboard to start the Windows setup program.

Setup will load the files necessary to install Windows. This may take a few moments.

Navigate to the Repair Installation option. When the setup program first loads, you will be greeted with a Welcome message. At the bottom of the screen, you will see keys that you can press to navigate the options. DO NOT press the key for Repair; instead press Enter to continue.

Press F8 to agree to the Windows License Agreement.

Select your copy of Windows. After the license agreement, you will see a list of your drives. One of them should be labeled "Windows" and will usually be highlighted automatically. The only time you will need to manually select it is if you have multiple operating systems installed.

Start the repair. Once you have your copy highlighted, press R to start the Repair process. Windows will begin deleting system files. After the system files are deleted, fresh copies will be installed.

No personal files should be deleted during the repair.

Now if you do not have the XP DVD/CD let us know.