Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old May 14th, 2016, 09:06 PM

No sound in Doom95

I have just completed installing and updating Win 98SE and have run into a problem when trying to play Doom95. I get no sound. The one thing I have noticed is the screen that comes up after I click on Doom from the start menu but before Doom actually starts to play does not show up. Those who have played Doom95 will know what I'm talking about. This screen which is visible for about 2-3 seconds shows the Doom program initializing several devices. This screen has a black background with white characters. I'm thinking that if this screen doesn't show up, then the initializing isn't taking place and therefore no sound. I also have Doom95 installed on WinME and it works fine. Any ideas as to why Win98SE is bypassing the initializing process and just jumping right into the game? I'm thinking this is a DOS problem and maybe there are some lines I need to add to my AUTOEXEC.BAT file. Maybe someone here has run into this and has a solution. Appreciate any assistance. Thanks.
Old June 1st, 2016, 09:18 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Couple weeks old Still have the problem?