Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows ME

Notices

Windows ME Problem solving for the Windows ME Operating System

Topic Tools
Old May 1st, 2014, 12:36 PM

Yes I know I can but this problem wouldnt go away if I tried from there

If someone hadnt of told me about winfile,i probably wouldnt have been able to fix it!!

I love the basic search feature of 98se,its fast,etc......
Old May 1st, 2014, 05:31 PM

Cool

Don't get me wrong. I'm not putting down 98. In fact one of it's best uses for me is for the internet. I find it to be a little faster. It doesn't have as much "overhead" as ME & XP do. Every system has it's good points...and not so good ones.

Being a 98 user, maybe you know what's up with this. I mentioned it before. My system has 2 exactly the same DVD rom drives attached and when I use Device Manager in 98SE it shows only 1 drive attached but when I use Windows Explorer it shows both of them and they are both accessible seperately. When I look at the entries in the registry under HKLM\Enum it shows entries for both also and they are exactly the same as in ME. Did you ever hear of this kind of problem and what the fix is? It's annoying like the label problem I was having but doesn't affect system operation. The only thing is if you needed to delete 1 from the system to replace it with another...which one would Device Manager delete. And once you delete 1 of them, there is no way to delete the 2nd. See my point?
Old May 3rd, 2014, 04:16 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Your disc writing software could be hiding it, what do you use to burn with?
Old May 3rd, 2014, 05:04 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Your disc writing software could be hiding it, what do you use to burn with?
Nero 7 and it shows both available for use also. Not quite sure how that could interfere with Device Manager. Shouldn't or doesn't Device Manager look at the registry for it's info?
Old May 3rd, 2014, 06:08 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
In the device manager, drop down view and check "show hidden devices". It may be hidden, since they both work, and Windows see's them, I assume the BIOS see's them also.
Old May 4th, 2014, 02:06 PM

It might not be "installed" either as the other is thru reg means... (If he is manually using it on the computer (LIKE A STAND ALONE EXE DOESNT HAVE TO BE INSTALLED (And wont show in add/remove programs)))
Old May 4th, 2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
In the device manager, drop down view and check "show hidden devices". It may be hidden, since they both work, and Windows see's them, I assume the BIOS see's them also.
I'll check that and see if it's checked off and let you know what happens.
Old May 4th, 2014, 08:09 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
It might not be "installed" either as the other is thru reg means... (If he is manually using it on the computer (LIKE A STAND ALONE EXE DOESNT HAVE TO BE INSTALLED (And wont show in add/remove programs)))
When I said I manually installed it in my other reply, I meant that I made the registry entries for it in HKLM\Enum and HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\cdrom. Hard drives and rom drives require no special drivers or executables to use them in their basic fashion. Did the exact same thing in ME and it works just fine with Device Manager showing both DVD's attached. Both are internal and connected to the boards IDE socket the same way as the hard drives. And 1 is jumpered as Master and the other as Slave. Had to do the registry entries that way because both 98SE & ME blew up on reboot trying to install them after I physically installed them. Trouble is when you get this far down the road the INF'S are totally outdated and no help (understandably so...how could MS or anyone know what equipment would be coming out years later and what their required entries might be). This is either as Murf has suggested or some "quirk" with 98. I don't think there are many people out there with a system so fully packed as mine and with duplicates, so you probably almost never hear of this. Don't know what Add/Remove programs would have to do with this unless you mean Add New Hardware. Tried that way first before doing registry entries myself. It said it found nothing new (OH...REALLY?). Then gives you the option to install manually with a drop down list of hardware types. Hard drives or cd rom drives are not on that list. The technically correct way to swap out hardware is to first remove it in Device Manager, shut down, install your new piece of hardware and then reboot. Under most circumstances the OS should take care of the rest via UPnP (Universal Plug and Pray). But when it can't find a suitable INF from which to make the registry entries it locks up with an error.

Last edited by justacruzr2; May 4th, 2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old May 10th, 2014, 04:22 PM

No Ya got that right!!

I just cleaned up some keys in my reg a few weeks ago.... 1 was for ICQ,the other for skype and an 1 for an uninstaller for a program I havent had for years!!!!!! (I cant believe what I find in the reg!!)

I havent had ICQ or skype on here in years!!! (And now that Microsoft has bought skype,I WOULD NOT EVER PUT THAT SPYING TRASH ON HERE!)
Old May 10th, 2014, 07:34 PM

You really have to keep on top of it. Doesn't take long for the registry to load up with all kinds of useless junk. I haven't seen many programs that uninstall themselves completely. They almost always leave some registry entries and/or files & folders lying around. I usually have to check the registry myself after an uninstall to make sure it REALLY is uninstalled. Not swapping out hardware correctly will do this too. First time I looked at HKLM/Enum it was loaded with old entries for mice/keyboards/monitors, etc that were long gone. That's when I learned the right way to do it. Thanks for the heads up on Skype. I almost was gonna install it sometime in the future.
Old May 15th, 2014, 09:52 AM

Oh my,stay away...... Not good SW anymore my friend!!