Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old June 8th, 2018, 03:33 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Help in upgrading my late father's laptop

Hello everyone!

I know it has been awhile since I last posted. I didn't have any computer issues anymore.

My father passed away about 4 years ago or so because of cancer. I wasn't able to and couldn't be with him when he passed because he was in a different country. I am now in possession of his laptop. It is an older model but is in very mint condition. After saving his files, I have reset the laptop with a fresh new re-install of Win10. I would like to continue using it with my current hobbies to honor my dad. It gives me the feeling of him being there while I enjoy my hobbies on it: music recording and video editing (trying to start a YouTube channel). I did not get to show or share my hobbies with my father.

As I mentioned, the machine seem to be in mint condition like almost new! But, it could be slow for my needs. May I request for help from all of you on what would I could do and which parts? I am not much of a computer hardware person anymore, but I used to build computers when I was younger and was able to upgrade an old 2006 Dell laptop through the help of this forum. I am actually still using it for my music making today!

I will try to give as much specs as I can, please let me know if there is anything else that you need.

Laptop Brand/Model: Acer Aspire 5741Z
Processor: Intel Pentium P6000 (1.86 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)
Graphics adapter: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) HD Graphics
Display 15.6"
3 GB DDR3
500GB HDD

I am not sure, but I think the motherboard details are as follows:

PRODUCT CODE: MB.TZ902.001
SERIES: NEW70 LA-5892P
GRAPHIC CARD: UMA - Integrated with Processor
RAM: DDR3
PROCESSOR SOCKET: Intel Socket G1 / rPGA988A

I am not rich, so I am thinking of used parts through eBay. I need at least 2 GHz of CPU power. I think I read that CPU needs built in graphics or something? As mentioned, I will be using it as light video editing for YouTube videos but heavy on music recording. However, I use an external audio interface for that.

To start off, would something like this work?
Intel Core i5-540M SLBPG 2.533GHz Socket G1 CPU Mobile Laptop Processor
Old June 9th, 2018, 02:02 AM

Notebooks tend to be very proprietary so there often is very little you can do. It does look like it will support the i5-540m and that is good. But if me, I would increase the RAM for the most bang for you money first. You did not say if that is 64-bit Windows 10 or 32-bit. If 32-bit, it look like that system will support 2 x 4GB for 8GB total and that is good. If only 32-bit Windows, you are limited to only 4GB, and most likely only about 3.2GB will be available. That's just the way it is with 32-bit.

Replacing the hard drive with a SSD will help improve performance too.
Old June 9th, 2018, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
Notebooks tend to be very proprietary so there often is very little you can do. It does look like it will support the i5-540m and that is good. But if me, I would increase the RAM for the most bang for you money first. You did not say if that is 64-bit Windows 10 or 32-bit. If 32-bit, it look like that system will support 2 x 4GB for 8GB total and that is good. If only 32-bit Windows, you are limited to only 4GB, and most likely only about 3.2GB will be available. That's just the way it is with 32-bit.

Replacing the hard drive with a SSD will help improve performance too.
Yes sir, it used to have Win7 but now it has Win10 64-bit.

The orig specs says that the graphics UMA is integrated in the processor. I am not sure what it means, but would it still work with the i5-540m processor? Would you know if graphics is also integrated?

Thank you very much for your response!
Old June 9th, 2018, 04:01 PM

As seen here, the i5 also has integrated graphics.

And as seen here, it seems that Acer 5741 came in a version that used that same i5 450M. But I would still upgrade the RAM before worrying about the processor. That current 3GB is likely bottlenecking your current CPU and will do the same to the i5.
Old June 9th, 2018, 08:35 PM

Thank you sir!

I think I still need the processor because a software I need specifies a cpu minimum of 2 GHz. Or, should it be fine as long as ram is good? What max could I go with it?
Old June 10th, 2018, 02:33 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
As Said upgrade Memory 1st.

You can find a used I5-560M which is 2.66Ghz for about $34.00 and yes has integrated graphics.

https://www.cpumedics.com/i5-450m.html

You can find cheaper on Ebay, but I would go with a known company.

For memory, as said best investment right away.

It will take up to 8GB, should have 2 slots, each slot would hold a 4GB module

What your looking for is DDR3L-1600 SODIMM, which you can find for about $25 for a 4gb module.
Old June 10th, 2018, 07:05 AM

Hello Mr. Murf! Thank you for your advice!

Is it ok if I would go eBay for the cpu? It is a lot cheaper, as in less than $10 shipped! I am kind of on a tight budget.

Would it also matter if its a Intel Core i5 Mobile i5-430M or 560M? Would either work on the motherboard LA-5892P?

So far, this is what I have found:
i5 Mobile i5-430M @ $5.89
or
Intel Core i5-540M SLBPG @ $9.95
8GB (2GBx4) DDR3L-1600 (PC3L-12800S) SO-DIMM Laptop Memory @$31.99

Will these work?
Old June 10th, 2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
I think I still need the processor because a software I need specifies a cpu minimum of 2 GHz.
You probably could benefit from a faster processor, but as I said above, you will get more bang for your money if you increase your RAM first.

Remember, computer performance is NOT just about your favorite programs you wish to run. It is also about the operating system too. The more RAM your OS has to operate in, the better all your running programs will perform too.

With only 3GB of RAM now, with some of that being used for the integrated graphics, you are really bottlenecking your system. Also, with only 3GB of RAM, the OS is being forced to temporarily spool out large portions of data it is working with to the page file on the slow hard drive. That significantly impacts performance too. With 8GB of RAM, the vast majority of the high priority data can stay in much faster RAM for immediate access by the OS and your running programs.

I agree with Murf. You have much better odds dealing with reputable company rather than individuals on eBay - especially with used components.
Old June 15th, 2018, 08:15 PM

Hello gentlemen!

My Intel Core i5-540M cpu and 4gb x 2 DDR3L-1600 SODIMM are all in now! However, I am still waiting for the contact paste so I installed the RAM first now. It is giving me an error: Your PC ran into a problem. We'll restart for you." And, "Preparing Automatic Repair." It has been restarting for 30 minutes now. Was there something else that I was supposed to do?
Old June 15th, 2018, 09:04 PM

Make sure the memory is fully seated. Take one out and only put one in, boot OK, shutdown and put other one in. Sounds like maybe they are loose or not fully seated.
Old June 15th, 2018, 09:53 PM

Thank you for your reply Mr. Murf!

I tried the first RAM and it just showed me this on the screen on both slots:

The 2nd one is stuck on the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen.

I contacted the seller and she said that it might not be compatible with my machine. So, I inspected the original RAM...

I see that it says:
For the 1 GB - 1Rx8 PC3 10600S
For the 2 GB - 2Rx8 PC3 10600S

So, should I get this instead?

I am a bit worried if the processor would fit, but since they have the same socket type with the Pentium P6000, it should work, right?

Last edited by littlebadboy; June 16th, 2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old June 16th, 2018, 02:42 AM

Hum, according to Crucial, which is pretty reliable that laptop should use:

DDR3L-1600, unbuffered, NON-ECC

Or DDR3 PC3-12800

It had

PC3-10600S in it, which is the same as the one your showing to buy.
2Rx8=2GB
1Rx8=1GB

What memory did you buy?????
Old June 16th, 2018, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Hum

What memory did you buy?????
This one...

Old June 16th, 2018, 03:58 PM

Crucial shows the following for that Laptop:
Acer Aspire; 5741, 5741g, 5741zg

DDR3L-1600
DDR3 PC3-12800..CL11..Unbuffered..Non ECC..DDR3-1600...1.35V

The memory that was in it has a speed of 1333MHz

The new memory has a speed of 1600MHz

From what I have read so far the max speed it will take is 1333Mhz, so that may be the problem.

But also read where the 4751Z can use DDR3-1066 PC8500 memory, conflicting.

What I would do is put one stick of the old memory in boot up to make sure it boots. Then shut down and put the other stick of the memory you just bought and see if it boots, if it does, then take it out and put the other one you bought in its place. Of it boots then put both sticks in of what you bought in.

That memory appears should work, unless it is defective.

Also when you put both sticks in of the memory you bought, you should immediately get into BIOS Setup, check if it recognizes it, then save and exit.
Old June 16th, 2018, 05:16 PM

The seller immediately refunded me eventhough I haven't sent them back yet. So, in good faith, I'm already in the post office to send it back.

I ordered the 1333MhZ ones. Should be here within next week. Let's see how it goes.

Thanks!