Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old March 29th, 2010, 04:54 PM

Laptop loading slow internet running slow

Hi all,

I have done all I know to repair/speed up my computer. I have cleaned all temp files and history, defraged, run ccleaner, had hijack this make a log and a tech said nothing is showing up bad, ran another program the tech had me download and run and nothing there, ran malwarebytes and no malicious files so i don;t kow what could be slowing down my laptop other than the drive maybe. Can anyone give me some insight on this please.

IRA82
Old March 29th, 2010, 09:32 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Did you try my last suggestion here ira82. I transferred your topic to this forum and was waiting for your reply. Others may have been too.
Old March 29th, 2010, 09:34 PM

I dont quit understand what to do. I thought you said you were sending it to this forum to see if anyone could help with windows issue. Im sorry. can you guide me through what im supposed to do again? Sometimes my computer is quiet and doesnt even sound like it is running when i am stuck on the web or trying to startup the computer.
Old March 29th, 2010, 09:39 PM
CTH Subscriber

I wanted you to clean boot your computer to see if you noticed any difference. See my last post below:

Quote:
In the meantime, let's try some troubleshooting. I want you to clean boot your computer and run that way for a day (see here for more help). Make sure you dont download anything or surf to dodgy sites while you are running in this state because your antivirus will be disabled. Did you notice any difference?
Old March 30th, 2010, 04:10 AM

it might run a little better but somethings still bogging out.
Old March 30th, 2010, 05:19 AM
CTH Subscriber

Ok, well the issue may be related to your network setup. There are a couple of errors showing in Event Viewer that point in that direction.

3/25/2010 9:38:59 PM, error: Service Control Manager [7011] - Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the WZCSVC service.

3/23/2010 9:49:42 PM, error: Service Control Manager [7000] - The mrtRate
service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the
file specified.

3/23/2010 9:39:40 PM, error: Service Control Manager [7011] - Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the stisvc service.

3/23/2010 9:39:06 PM, error: Service Control Manager [7011] - Timeout (30000milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the Netman service.

I'm going to move your topic again. This time to the Networking Forum and see what the experts there say. Please post your connection details in the meantime.
Old March 30th, 2010, 02:27 PM

ann marie i noticed something when i shut down last night. i don;t know that the clean boot worked cause my antivirus was still active. I tried it again this morning and i notcied a window came up i the background saying an access error occured and i would noot be able to clean boot because i needed to log on as an administrator. I only have one user on my laptop and it is me and i have me set up as the administrator. I don;t know what the issue could be there. As far as my connection details what do you want me to post? I have comcast high speed cable. I am running through a wireless router. As I am typing this my computer is freezing up every other few letters and i have to wait for it to finish typing.
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:13 PM
CTH Subscriber

Ok, I'll move this back to XP. It sounds as though your profile has corrupted so you will need to create a new one. I see that you have XP Home so you will have to boot into Safe Mode to access the dedicated Administrator account.

To boot into Safe Mode, restart your computer and tap F8 continuously as it restarts. Once Safe Mode has loaded, logon to the Administrator Account and then follow the instructions here.

Reboot when finished and logon normally to your new account and tell me if this made any difference.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 01:54 PM

anne,

it still runs the same under clean boot mode very sluggish takes forever for internet to open up and freezes in between pages etc.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 02:19 AM
CTH Subscriber

Were you logged into the dedicated Administrator account in Safe Mode?
Old April 3rd, 2010, 03:45 AM

yes i was
Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:09 AM
CTH Subscriber

Ok, if you have problems in Safe Mode, the problem is most likely hardware related and I cant help you with this. You could try running a full chkdsk but if that doesnt help, I suggest you post a new topic in our Hardware Forum.

To do this, open My Computer, rightclick on C: and choose Properties. Click on Tools > Error Checking > Check Now. A Dialogue Box will open. Check "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" and OK. You will be advised that a check cannot be run as some files are in use, do you want to schedule a check at your next reboot. Click Yes and reboot. The check will take quite a while so grab a coffee and a book. When the scan has finished, your PC will finish rebooting.

There will be a log recorded in Event Viewer. Go to Start > Run and type:

eventvwr.msc

and ok. Click on Application and look for winlogon. Doubleclick to open and you should see the results. Look on the righthand side and you will see two arrows with a clipboard icon (two pages) below them. Click on the Icon and then click on Post Reply to this topic. Position your mouse where you would normally type a reply, rightclick and choose paste.