Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > The Anything Else Board

Notices

The Anything Else Board This board has been designed for all those subjects that don't quite fit in any of the other categories, and is also a place to share ideas and knowledge that you think might prove valuable to our other visitors

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old July 3rd, 2020, 12:00 PM

Heart and soul

I ask the burning question Can this situation get any uglier with AI? I'm constrained to say yes.

Here it is:

A public high school in a flyover state created a Youtube channel for its wrestling team. Most of the bouts at most its meets going back about 5 years were posted. One particular student who graduated in 2019 seemed to have a very poor record, so I Googled him to find out how it all turned out.

The interweb, I soon discovered, is a pretty amazing tool for research.

Google brought me to a website called Trackwrestling.com that is for wrestlers almost what Baseball-Reference.com is for ballplayers and what IMDB.com is for movie stars. It has lots of details about events, bouts, league standings and so on, and is very searchable and sortable. It also does some recompiling of stats into various kinds of printable splits.

So I ran his name on the site and soon discovered he finished his career 2-81. Not a typo. 2-81. I don't know how he could get out of bed, take school exams, or train while he was doing so poorly or how his parents continued to permit his participation with results so discouraging. Perhaps he gave his heart and soul to his beloved sport and that is what came of it. 2-81. Take from those numbers what you will, but maybe it took all his heart and soul to function on a daily basis with that hanging over him. Many kudos to him for being a survivor.

I next cross referenced the listed results against the youtube channel for accuracy, and found that the posted matches were consistent with the written description. There were a few mistakes and omissions, and about half the matches weren't posted to youtube -- there may be an explanation for that -- but the video and the paper trail mutually reinforced each other.

So I looked a little further at both sets of data.

2-81 included three winless seasons. As a senior, he went 0-13 and was pinned 12 times. JV Freshmen made short work of him in his first 5 matches that year. Then whomever was responsible for the data stopped posting the official times he fell.

Going further back it became clear that his career was chock full of opponents who made very short work of him. He was pinned inside of one minute officially more than 30 times, and within two minutes about as often, with the fall times of some bouts not published. Some bouts may have been over so fast camera operators were not ready. Or someone may have taken pity and chose not to record the inevitable or post the worst of the outcomes.

Only a few bouts reached the 6 minute final whistle, and those were mostly lopsided, still worth extra points for the opposing team in the meet score, but not as many extras as pins.

But even that was not the worst of it.

An even deeper dive showed that female opponents made short work of him too. He ended his career 1-7 against young ladies, falling 6 times, twice in just about a minute. One girl was 4-0 against him, the solitary highlight of her own 11-82 career.

Now there may be a plausible reason for being 2-81 other than that he simply sucks at wrestling and is off his rocker by trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, but it is hard to fathom and not apparent in the records available to me. Chronic pain? Autism? Birth defect? Drugs?

In the foreseeable future, a professional data crawl is going to get the trackwrestling.com stuff, pair it with the youtube stuff (which includes all 7 losses to girls) and AI will evaluate the record such as it is with his facial expressions while he is getting an ass kicking and so on with the search histories, geolocations, meal photos posted to Insta, dog licenses and so on and so forth it is already using and it will compute his Ultimate Loser Index Number, which is going to be mighty high.

And easily summoned up by any prospective employer, insurer, banker, love interest, beat cop, or upselling waitress using Siri.

Now its one thing to be forced to wonder what Brett Kavanagh was up to in high school and to leave the issue of a judgeship in controversy because all there is in the record is conflicting accounts based on the ancient and flawed drunken memories of unreliable teens. Maybe we should be getting more hard info about that when making social choices that will last for generations.

But it is very scary and very Communist to leave the decision about whether a normal looking 30 something can get a night at a bed and breakfast to the All Knowing Oracle AirBnB, because it can reveal cosmic truth from the reams of mundane and not mundane but highly accurate though very incomplete data produced about him daily, including the fact he grimaced after losing and only won twice in high school (despite having given his heart and soul to it on an unrecorded line).

Why won't heart and soul count for something in our future?

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Last edited by Total Noob; July 3rd, 2020 at 12:18 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2020, 07:27 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Square peg, round hole springs to mind.
Old July 3rd, 2020, 09:22 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

jeezum, you are a typing fool Noob.
Old July 4th, 2020, 02:34 AM

O/S: Linux
Maybe you will find the answer you seek by looking deep in your into home planet. Uranus is it not???

Last edited by Jaytee; July 4th, 2020 at 02:34 AM. Reason: add+
Old July 4th, 2020, 04:25 PM
CTH Subscriber

Ned Seagoon : On June 13 you posted this in another post thread...

Quote:
I wonder what it was in your upbringing Lufbra that causes you to be such a wet blanket. Hell man there is little enough discussion here, on this site, which once was a vibrant discussion site with witty repartee flowing like there was no end.

TN introduced a valid point, one that once would have resulted in friendly discussion between friends. Unfortunately again you are stifling that, I wonder why that is? Perhaps you need a good laxative to clear your fouled system.
Then yesterday you posted this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Seagoon View Post
Square peg, round hole springs to mind.
So it appears that clearly you go by the "do as I say, not as I do" standard. The one word that describes you is HYPOCRITE!
Old July 4th, 2020, 09:03 PM

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by lufbra View Post
Ned Seagoon :
Then yesterday you posted this...
So it appears that clearly you go by the "do as I say, not as I do" standard. The one word that describes you is HYPOCRITE!
That may or may not true. However having seen TN's posts over the years I am convinced the person is a troll and will be enjoying the flame war that was almost started.
Old July 5th, 2020, 03:15 AM
CTH Subscriber

I disagree Jaytee, there is only one Troll here, Lufbra. Who would bring up a post from near a month ago to criticize another member especially when they pretended to misread a post he commented about to do it?

The Square Peg in a round hole was a comment on 'Brett Kavanagh' the subject of TN's post which included the following
Quote:
Now its one thing to be forced to wonder what Brett Kavanagh was up to in high school and to leave the issue of a judgeship in controversy because all there is in the record is conflicting accounts based on the ancient and flawed drunken memories of unreliable teens.
I was suggesting that Brett Kavanagh was the square peg in a round hole.

TN make some very valid comments that are not understood by some, probably due to there complexity, as opposed to the many posts of that vitriolic Lufbra who gave up his roll as a Moderator when his only response to so many members seeking advice was to reply with a sarcastic, "Search on Google", answer.

I'd tell you what to do Lufbra, but the word censor would turn the answer into a row of stars.
Closed Topic