Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion

Notices

Open Discussion A place to chat with other members about non-technical related topics

Topic Tools
Old June 29th, 2020, 08:01 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: MacOS
Just wait until the homelessness problem explodes due to evictions because people can't make their rent.... it's comin....
Old June 30th, 2020, 05:21 PM

The word going around the u.s. today is that there is no longer any way to control the spread of this disease here in the US. I read that there is testing going on for it, but myself and none of my friends and none of my family and none of their friends know anyone that's ever been tested. My older brother, who lives near me in what's considered as a hotspot for covid-19 in the state we live in, anticipated that there will have to be a 60% infected saturation rate in all States eventually.
Old June 30th, 2020, 07:19 PM

So, no one answered...

Anyone wearing masks??
Old June 30th, 2020, 08:20 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Just wait until the homelessness problem explodes due to evictions because people can't make their rent.... it's comin....
but this will be a different type of homelessness since it will be those who are in the higher income brackets living in expensive rentals will be the homeless ones. those in the lower income brackets actually made more unemployed than employed. they don't have an excuse not to pay rent - at least till the end of July.
Old June 30th, 2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintan View Post
The word going around the u.s. today is that there is no longer any way to control the spread of this disease here in the US. I read that there is testing going on for it, but myself and none of my friends and none of my family and none of their friends know anyone that's ever been tested. My older brother, who lives near me in what's considered as a hotspot for covid-19 in the state we live in, anticipated that there will have to be a 60% infected saturation rate in all States eventually.
Sounds terrifying! Come to the South Pacific
Old June 30th, 2020, 09:34 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Here in Australia the problem is almost under control. We have one state with a high local transmission rate, Victoria, where lockdown has just been reimposed. However this is just for the residents living in the 10 postcodes affected which are all suburbs of Melbourne.

Seems the problem arose due to the lack of strict procedures by some security guards employed in quarantine hotels. These places were set up by the Victorian government for returning residents from overseas. The army have now been brought in to police these places and nursing staff have been recruited from out of state to assist in overloaded hospitals. I hope they can soon get this under control. The International airport in Melbourne has been closed so as to not add to the problem.

Here in Queensland, restrictions are being relaxed with state borders to be opened from 10 July to all other states except Victoria. Those entering will need to sign a deceleration that they have not been in Victoria during the last 14 days. $4000 fine for making a false deceleration. People can attend church and that other Australian religion, football.
Old July 1st, 2020, 12:50 PM

I am going to a bar at 10 this morning. I guess I'm joining the 60% Club.
Old July 1st, 2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
but this will be a different type of homelessness since it will be those who are in the higher income brackets living in expensive rentals will be the homeless ones. those in the lower income brackets actually made more unemployed than employed. they don't have an excuse not to pay rent - at least till the end of July.
Apparently yes for those that could take advantage of the unemployment... but it ran out. Not everyone who qualified received it from what I've read.

I just saw a story about Chicago rent relief.. $15Million of aide.. gone in 90 minutes. Leaving thousand on their own.

.. now.. why isn't my mortgage company waiving a month or to??? (Not that I need it, but I'd take advantage of it)
Old July 1st, 2020, 08:26 PM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

My mortgage company DID offer me a month or two (Chase). I'm an 'essential ' worker, so I didn't need to take them up on the offer.
Old July 1st, 2020, 08:33 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Apparently yes for those that could take advantage of the unemployment... but it ran out. Not everyone who qualified received it from what I've read.

I just saw a story about Chicago rent relief.. $15Million of aide.. gone in 90 minutes. Leaving thousand on their own.

.. now.. why isn't my mortgage company waiving a month or to??? (Not that I need it, but I'd take advantage of it)
who would not take advantage of the system if it is available :-)
Old July 2nd, 2020, 04:56 AM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

Ummm....me, I guess. And maybe a few hundred thousand more who try to stay out of the news.
Old July 2nd, 2020, 07:10 AM
CTH Subscriber

Something I don't understand, several of you mention mortgages, do you still have one? I may be a few years older than some of you, but I haven't had a mortgage for around 40 years.
Old July 2nd, 2020, 12:14 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Seagoon View Post
Here in Australia the problem is almost under control. We have one state with a high local transmission rate, Victoria, where lockdown has just been reimposed.
Seem that a significant problem with the virus leak from the quarantine hotels is that some of the untrained security guards were bonking some of the residents under quarantine. They then passed the virus on to family and friends as family gatherings and parties, these then passed the virus on to people at their workplaces and schools, all while asymptomatic.

The Victorian government is getting the blame for employing private untrained security guards rather than proper staff.
Old July 2nd, 2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Seem that a significant problem with the virus leak from the quarantine hotels is that some of the untrained security guards were bonking some of the residents under quarantine. They then passed the virus on to family and friends as family gatherings and parties, these then passed the virus on to people at their workplaces and schools, all while asymptomatic.

The Victorian government is getting the blame for employing private untrained security guards rather than proper staff.
We had a similar problem (minus bonking) In order to cover his own ineptitude The minister of health threw the most popular civil servant (who has been at the coal face throughout) under the bus . Happy ending. Minister got the sack (ahem retired) Our director of health is as popular as ever and taking a well deserved holiday...........
Old July 3rd, 2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Something I don't understand, several of you mention mortgages, do you still have one? I may be a few years older than some of you, but I haven't had a mortgage for around 40 years.
I didn't buy until well into my 40s.
I've been single all my life so it was never really a factor until I got older.
So yes, several years left on the mortgage.