Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 8

Notices

Windows 8 Problem solving for the Windows 8 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old July 23rd, 2016, 08:31 PM

Windows Update not working

Hi!

Every other day for about a year, my computer, upon powering on, decides to auto-restart to install Windows updates. After about 20-30 minutes, I get a message that Windows Update has failed to install updates, and is reverting back.

I have tried fixing this by reading multiple columns at support.microsoft.com. This has entailed running a Windows Update Troubleshooter and using the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files.

I am trying now to upgrade to Windows 10, but I cannot since before that happens, Windows is trying to install all prior updates. Given that I now have less than 7 days to upgrade for free, I thought I would come here and see if anyone could help.

Thanks very much for your time! Please let me know if there is a better subforum on CyberTechHelp for this issue.

-Circa
Old July 23rd, 2016, 09:06 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
The old os does not need to be updated in order to upgrade. you can try upgrading to win10 using the iso disk. just create an image dvd using the iso. when you boot to it, it will verify you have a legit os to justify the upgrade then start the upgrade process.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...n10_Body_AddPC
Old July 23rd, 2016, 09:20 PM

Ah, thanks for the tip! I will try this right now and let you know how it goes.
Old July 24th, 2016, 12:04 AM

I was able to download the ISO file from the link, and I updated to Windows 10 through that. Thanks! I guess I'll never figure out what happened to my Windows 8 updates but at least they're all gone now. If I see a problem with Windows 10 updates, I'll go post in the Windows 10 forum.
Old July 24th, 2016, 12:29 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by circasurvive View Post
I was able to download the ISO file from the link, and I updated to Windows 10 through that. Thanks! I guess I'll never figure out what happened to my Windows 8 updates but at least they're all gone now. If I see a problem with Windows 10 updates, I'll go post in the Windows 10 forum.
glad you are updated and thanks for letting us know :-)